LegacyGT.com

Summer freeway temps and water pump upgrade?

This was the first summer with my 2007 XT. I'm in North Carolina and temps can be mid to upper 90s regularly. I noticed that when on the freeway above 70 mph my temp would move above the half way mark towards the red line but if I showed down to 60 or below (or pulled over), it would fall back to about the half way mark again. I'm thinking this is hotter than it should be and it concerns me a bit.

What is normal operating temp for hot summer days when pushing 75/80 for you?

I'm about to replace all the timing components and was thinking about using a high flow oem water pump 21111AA026 which is reportedly stock for 02-04 Impreza WRX EJ205 but is supposed to be an upgrade?

Any thoughts? Any reason why not to use this? It is cheaper by about $30 at the dealer.

It's a good pump, there's no reason not to use it, but I'm not sure it will address your issue. People go on and on about cast vs. stamped impeller, high-flow, blah-blah-blah, but the truth is the stamped impeller flows enough. It's being used around the world in places hotter than NC. Usually you would replace the water pump when you do the timing belt service. If you do this on schedule, water pumps seldom go bad.

The thermostat should open around 190 F. The coolant temp should stay under 225 F normally.

Make sure you are using the Subaru OEM thermostat. Many cooling problems have been traced to aftermarket thermostat.

Verify your radiator fans are coming on. One will always run if you have the A/C on.

Make sure you have purged all air from your cooling system. Pockets of air can be trapped in the block creating hot spots or preventing the thermostat from opening correctly

Think about replacing your radiator. These stock radiators are more or less disposable units once they get some age on them and you can get a new one for around $100 - 120.

I've had good success with the Lisle 24680 Spill-Free Funnel kit.

I'll also park the car facing a slight uphill or put the front wheels on a short ramp.

Note on that video. It's kind of old, so the thermostat housing design is not the same. Also, for turbo Subarus with the coolant tank near the turbo, you should put the coolant in there instead of the main radiator.

Select the right size cap adapter. Replace the normal radiator cap with the adapter, attach the funnel. Fill the bucket funnel up about 1/3 way. Start the car, idle awhile until the cooling fans come on. You will see air bubbles coming out, and the coolant level will go down. Make sure you keep adding coolant to keep the level up in the funnel. Now, rev the engine up to 2,000 RPM or so, and let the fans cycle a few times. Make sure your radiator hoses are hot to the touch, meaning coolant is circulating. You should see no more air bubbles coming out of the funnel. Shut off the engine and let it cool down. Coolant level in the funnel may drop slightly. Put the plunger in the funnel, remove the funnel, dump the coolant left in the funnel in the overflow bottle. Replace radiator cap. Clean up and you are done.

Archived