LegacyGT.com

perrin exhaust

yuconfused

If you got a Shorty DP then the stock cat will bolt up but flanges down to 2.5". THe exhaust end of the cat is 2.5" so a 3" CBE will have a restriction there. If you get a full DP then the cat is already inline. I am not sure which DPs are 3" all the way... maybe the Lachute is. Anyways, from a full DP, a 3" CBE should bolt up.

So why does everyone prefer the AP as opposed to a custom ECU reflash? Simply because of the freedom it gives you?

Brother Andrew -

I had a *huge* internal-debate with myself about this very issue.

I liked the AP mainly due to its flexibility as an end-user enabled unit. If I ever needed to flash "back-to-stock" for dealership service, etc., it would be very, very easy for me to do so. Additionally, the fact that the Cobb guys are very responsive about us LGTer's demands for the vehicle's performance and driveability - as well as the fact that they have the ability to truly "live" with their off-the-shelf maps and fine-tune them over time - were also things I thought favorably for the AP. Finally, it's side-features, such as being able to read boost, how "adaptable" it was to a variety of mods, as well as the ability to run two maps "simultaneously" were quite attractive as well.

With ECUTek, even though it is rumored that it allows access to areas of the ECU that the AP is not able to venture into, even for a Pro/Street-Tune, what I saw as its major weak-point was that it is not end-user enabled. If I needed my car returned-to-stock, I'll have to mail-in my ECU to my tuner. While this is usually a "free" service, the extra down-time/step is annoying.....

With the ECUTek, what the end-user pays for is a copy of the software license, plus either the tuner's customized (but still "off-the-shelf") map (i.e. a "mail-in" flash), or the tuner's true custom map based on either a dyno and/or road-tune - and thus, this tends to make ECUTek prices come in the range of $750 to $1000, when all's said and done; meanwhile, a Cobb AccessPort, with full access to Cobb Tuning's off-the-shelf maps as well as that of customized (but not true custom) maps from various recognized tuners, will come in right at around $650. However, once a true custom-tune is taken into account, with the AccessPort, either using StreetTuner or ProTuner, well, the cost is now easily either comparable to ECUTek, or can even exceed such - but the benefit remains that you can still flash various maps yourself.

In the end, I went with the ECUTek because my local tuner was having a KILLER deal on a custom-tune with this system. ;)

-------

yuconfused -

Installing an aftermarket UP and DP combo should put you at nearly "Cobb Stage I" power levels. This was demonstrated by a few past-posts, but unfortunately, I can't get a good search-string going, so you'll have to dig for proof yourself. ;)

However, as you are still on stock EM, compared against having your EM reflashed to Cobb Stage I, the hardware changes that you made will not respond as "optimally" - so your "area under the curve" may not be quite as nice as what can be had with a proper tune, even one with just stock pipes.

Typically, with just hardware changes, it's harder to note the performance increases. Most of what you feel will be in the middle of the powerband - additionally, thanks to your UP, you'll also experience shorter delay to-spool.

Overall, you won't feel huge benefits until you go with aftermarket EM, be it ECUTek or AccessPort, with your current level of hardware.

With the intake, be careful.

On a totally stock vehicle, even the Perrin Short Ram has been shown to cause leaner AFRs and increased EGTs. Both were significant, although not necessarily "harmful." Although your freer-flowing pipes should result in decreased EGTs (Jeremy from Crucial Racing has some data to support this), the Big MAF still presents an unknown to the equation when added-in, here. You'd do well to at least monitor your EGTs, if not log your vehicle - to just err on the side of caution. Note also that you should not use an "off-the-shelf" Cobb AccessPort map with your Big MAF intake, either a Pro or StreetTune (or a customized map), or an ECUTec tune, is a must.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

yuconfused - I wouldn't install the BigMAF intake until just before you get your car tuned. It throws off the air metering until the ECU is recailbrated for the maf voltage ( the signal the MAF sends the ECU assumes the pipe is stock size, but since the BigMAF tube is larger in diameter, more air is flowing in.)

Ideally, you should get your car protuned on a dyno. Put the intake on the car just before the dyno session.

Brother Andrew -

I had a *huge* internal-debate with myself about this very issue.

I liked the AP mainly due to its flexibility as an end-user enabled unit. If I ever needed to flash "back-to-stock" for dealership service, etc., it would be very, very easy for me to do so. Additionally, the fact that the Cobb guys are very responsive about us LGTer's demands for the vehicle's performance and driveability - as well as the fact that they have the ability to truly "live" with their off-the-shelf maps and fine-tune them over time - were also things I thought favorably for the AP. Finally, it's side-features, such as being able to read boost, how "adaptable" it was to a variety of mods, as well as the ability to run two maps "simultaneously" were quite attractive as well.

With ECUTek, even though it is rumored that it allows access to areas of the ECU that the AP is not able to venture into, even for a Pro/Street-Tune, what I saw as its major weak-point was that it is not end-user enabled. If I needed my car returned-to-stock, I'll have to mail-in my ECU to my tuner. While this is usually a "free" service, the extra down-time/step is annoying.....

With the ECUTek, what the end-user pays for is a copy of the software license, plus either the tuner's customized (but still "off-the-shelf") map (i.e. a "mail-in" flash), or the tuner's true custom map based on either a dyno and/or road-tune - and thus, this tends to make ECUTek prices come in the range of $750 to $1000, when all's said and done; meanwhile, a Cobb AccessPort, with full access to Cobb Tuning's off-the-shelf maps as well as that of customized (but not true custom) maps from various recognized tuners, will come in right at around $650. However, once a true custom-tune is taken into account, with the AccessPort, either using StreetTuner or ProTuner, well, the cost is now easily either comparable to ECUTek, or can even exceed such - but the benefit remains that you can still flash various maps yourself.

In the end, I went with the ECUTek because my local tuner was having a KILLER deal on a custom-tune with this system. ;)

-------

Thanks for your take. I think in the long run it may have saved us time to have purchased the AP insteadof the ECUTek. Especially sicne we will have to have new tunes when we return to the state and get more work done.

Archived