LegacyGT.com

Insurance for a Non-Daily Driver

With my 6 month insurance payment quickly approaching I am curious if any of you have your cars insured as not a daily driver/low annual mileage car. With two cars, the wagon is reserved to the weekend toy and sees very low miles on a yearly basis (less than 7k) and I’m curious if there are options to maintain full coverage insurance on a car that isn’t driven frequently. Thanks in advance!

With State Farm at least, you can get a discount if you certify a car is driven less than 7,500 miles per year. I just started doing it recently. I think they ask you to fill and sign a mileage statement with the current odometer reading periodically.

Almost every insurer has a 'pleasure' category for cars like this. The mileage amounts may vary but I think the average was between 5-7k a year. I do this with my SVX.

I have been with all the major companies, but have found Farmers to be great regarding pricing and service. I would recommend getting a quote from them.

I have a “low-usage” discount through SafeCo. They require me to verify my mileage on a yearly basis but it results in a monthly premium of under $35
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

What the others have said is correct, additionally if you have modified the car I would search for a policy that offers endorsements for aftermarket parts. I have Progressive, which has an optional $5000 coverage for aftermarket parts installed on the car. Keep this in mind if you have modified your vehicle. Hagerty offers some pretty comprehensive plans for modified and low usage vehicles. (I'm an insurance adjuster for the past 10 years, pm me if you have any questions).

Brought to you by Pfizer

What the others have said is correct, additionally if you have modified the car I would search for a policy that offers endorsements for aftermarket parts. I have Progressive, which has an optional $5000 coverage for aftermarket parts installed on the car. Keep this in mind if you have modified your vehicle. Hagerty offers some pretty comprehensive plans for modified and low usage vehicles. (I'm an insurance adjuster for the past 10 years, pm me if you have any questions).

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

This was my next question, definitely want to look into insuring the modified parts on my car, because if it (god forbid) we to ever be totaled, the value of the car by no means covers anywhere near what I have into the car.

I'll give my current insurance company a call and see what options I have based on this info and then do a little shopping around.

I have Geico and with them you specify % of time you are driving each car, usage. I daily the Fozz, so I put 90%, and the GT is garaged and only gets a few thousand miles a year if that, so I put 10%. No mileage verifications to submit.

I have Geico and with them you specify % of time you are driving each car, usage. I daily the Fozz, so I put 90%, and the GT is garaged and only gets a few thousand miles a year if that, so I put 10%. No mileage verifications to submit.

Can you expand on how these percentages affect your rates?

Can you expand on how these percentages affect your rates?

I do have collision coverage on both cars, the GT because I still have a loan on it, and the Fozz because I drive it most, and who knows, I could fock up one day. LOL!

The difference is not a lot, but if I have both cars at 50%, I would be paying more for the GT than I am now, to the tune of about $50 every 6 months, and not any less for the Fozz.

I should also mention that I have not had an at-fault incident on my insurance since I began driving in 1986.

Archived