LegacyGT.com

Noisy Acceleration from under car

I was just given a 2000 Outback with 97,000 miles on it. When I accelerate, there is a clunking noise from under the car- somewhere near the middle- I'm assuming in the drive train.

The noise goes away as soon as I let off of the gas and sounds faster as I accelerate. It's only there going forward and not in reverse. It also isn't there when I rev the car in neutral. Any suggestions on causes given the limited information?

Sounds like it could be a bad U-joint in the driveshaft. If that is the issue, you can't replace just the U-joints, you have to replace the driveshaft as a unit.

You could post a video, sometimes that helps people identify problems from the noise.

Guys- thank you so much for the reply! I'll try to post a video with the sound with the hope that it helps identify potential causes- it's clearly something in the drive train- which is a 4EAT

As part of my "research", I checked video's on YouTube and in this one (

), the noise sounds very similar and it ended up being the Center Differential. Is one more common that the other- bad u-joint vs center differential? Both seem to be about $500 in parts

Center diff is usually more prone to fail vs any part further down the driveline. My 02 Forester made similar noises before I replaced the transfer gears and center diff. If it is the center diff, just go out and find a used JDM transmission to swap. It's cheaper in the end than a center diff and transfer gears.

It sounds like the the propeller shaft bearing, but you say it stops when you let off the gas, so I would venture to say that it is either that or the center or rear diff.

Heres a similar video.

Sorry I deleted my original post by accident instead of editing it.

Thank you again for all of your input.

In case this helps- I made 1 more video https://youtu.be/hZvApjcjuRk.

Other than an "educated guess" on my end, do you have any suggestions on what I can do to pinpoint the problem? One thought I have is to lift the car completely off the ground and get under there while it's in gear. Your thoughts?

I still think it's that mid-shaft bearing clunking. To check, go under the car and remove the 4 12mm bolts on the heat shield that covers the drive shaft. See if there is any play in the driveshaft, particularly where the bearing bolts to the body.

Archived