LegacyGT.com

2.5i overheating

Hello, i have a 09 legacy automatic 2.5i SE, I had the head gaskets replaced 12/2016 with 103,000 mi. had alittle bit of oil leaking from around the heads. at the same time i had the timing belt and water pump replaced. up till about a month ago car ran fine then just started overheating. i replaced the thermostat with a aftermarket one, not a subaru brand. Engine was pressure tested and is at 180-185 psi. the car right now has just over 108,000 miles. I dont know what to check next or to do next. Anyone have any suggestions?

I would get one of the spill free funnels like he has in the video, unless you already have one, and try burping the cooling system. It's also worth noting the orientation of the thermostat as he points out, which direction the little jiggle valve is oriented, on top or bottom.

It's weird that the problem has just started happening, but I don't know what else could be wrong. Hopefully others will chime in too.

Did you replace the thermostat after the overheating problem started? Or did the problem start after the new thermostat? I assume #1, but just checking.

- Check that you didn't install the thermostat the wrong way around (hey, it happens)

- Burp the cooling system

- Try replacing your radiator hoses, they could be aged out. Did this to my '05 this past winter as they collapsed on long drives causing overheating

Archived