LegacyGT.com

Trailer Wiring Harness adaptor

redwagon

I have been looking an easy way to wire up a trailer harness. e-trailer has a "T-One" wiring adaptor for the Outback and Forester that seems to have the same connector as the Legacy harness. The part number and price are:

Code: 18370

Price: $34.95

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=18370&Category_Code=VWH

I don't know if this will fit or function, but its pretty cheap so I am going to order one and give it a try. I will let you know the results.

wiring-2.jpg.15392421fd68f3d69c1a15054178c3c9.jpg

wiring-3.jpg.3b1035764181be299509a79b1b0f05e8.jpg

wiring-1.jpg.eba1af5f9672056cbc79429cce1a478b.jpg

Is that the right rear of your car? My connector was in the same place, but on the left side of my car. Odd. Maybe they have connectors on both sides???

BTW, I bought my wiring harness at a local trailer shop and it is just plug n' play. The harness in your picture looks identical to mine.

Is that the right rear of your car? My connector was in the same place, but on the left side of my car. Odd. Maybe they have connectors on both sides???

BTW, I bought my wiring harness at a local trailer shop and it is just plug n' play. The harness in your picture looks identical to mine.

How much was your harness?

Where did you exit the cabin with your harness?

Thanks

Iggy

The first picture, which I got from e-trailer.com, is probably of a Forester harness which is on the passenger side. As far as I know the Legacy and the Outback have the harness on the driver side.

The first picture, which I got from e-trailer.com, is probably of a Forester harness which is on the passenger side. As far as I know the Legacy and the Outback have the harness on the driver side.

Well, that explains why it looked different than my car.

I can't remember, but it cost right around $35-$40.

It doesn't exit my cabin. I ran the cable under the floor near the crank for the jack and keep it under the floor door on the on the foam tray (there is a small channel under the floor...you'll see it). When I trailer my boat or PWC, I just pull the plug out from the tray, close the floor door and close the rear door on the cord to hold it in place. Just be sure it doesn't close in the latch.

The Legacy connector is definitely on the drivers side. I got the factory hitch kit when I bought my XT. The factory harness works for both the Legacy and Forester (and maybe even the Impreza IIRC) with the Leg. connection on the DS and the For. connection on the PS. Factory harness has a big rubber plug on the trailer side of the converter box. You pop a matching plug out of the body under the spare tire and feed the harness through. Two way tape holds the converter box in place beside the spare to keep it from rattling.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Good to hear. I only hope it works as well on a sedan. :)

That is the same one I used. It is only plug and play for the wagon though.

For your sedan (like mine) you will have to splice and run a wire to the battery.

I bought the above harness, cut off the connector (the one that goes to the car, it is white), spliced the wires into the tail lights (left turn, right turn, brake, parking, made a good ground for the unit, and ran a wire to the battery that was fused.

Took about 2 hrs total.

• 5 weeks later...
I bought the above harness, cut off the connector (the one that goes to the car, it is white), spliced the wires into the tail lights (left turn, right turn, brake, parking, made a good ground for the unit, and ran a wire to the battery that was fused.

Took about 2 hrs total.

Where is the connector on the sedan? I just looked at my '06 and couldn't fint it. I even partially pulled back the rear panels around the taillights & around the seat backs.:confused:

Archived