LegacyGT.com

Ticking from center diff

Hey all,

I recently noticed a ticking sound coming from the center diff of my 06 LGT 5EAT. I recently replaced the passenger lower control arm and in doing so also replaced the steering knuckle, which required removing the axle from the hub.

when i was driving afterwards i noticed i heard a ticking noise coming from what seemed like the right wheel. when i put the car up on stands and spun the wheel, it sounded fine until the wheel started to slow, and the ticking sounds started. it appeared to be coming from inside the center diff.

below is a video of the sound. any idea what caused it to appear suddenly and what is creating the sound?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0izIhyT95EU]06 LGT center diff noise - YouTube[/ame]

• 4 weeks later...

i had center diff issues about a year ago but i was having clicking coming from the rear of the trani where the center diff is located. i was able to put it on a lift and drive the car while someone below located the noise. we ended up pulling the center dif out and we found the center diff bearings were shot. the bearings are not too expensive, i think i paid under $75 for the bearings.

good luck i hope my experience helps.

Archived