LegacyGT.com

Spec B Insurance

I called my insurance co and they are saying that replacement for the car in case of loss would be at Blue Book Value. I cannot find the value for the Spec B anywhere. They cant either after giving them the VIN#

My question is.. if stolen, wrecked, etc will insurance companies only reference a LGT Limited's value? Has anyone researched this? Are Spec B's listed differently?

Ouch... I just heard the following from another insurer:

We would insure the 2006 Subaru Legacy Limited B for the value of the closest vehicle

found in the Kelley Blue Book. This may mean you would be insured for the value of

the regular Subaru Limited vehicle according to the Kelley Blue Book. Say it aint so! I was going to sign and pick up my car tomorrow!

I wouldn't worry about it...they will eventually get the VIN number. Worse case scenario, just buy some GAP insurance, for a little while...and that should take care of it. Also, if you have to worry about it being stolen...well, time to move....hehe, j/k.

Same deal when the 1st STi's came out,,mine was insured as a $32,000 WRX fr the 1st year.Then the insurance companys caught up with reality and the prices went through the roof.

The spec B has some add ons but I dont think it would be more then a standard GT Ltd.

Rudy

Most Insurance companies use "market value" for the replacement cost of a vehicle. NADA, KBB, etc are only used for generalizations. The majority of insurance companies will farm out the replacement value determination to an outside vendor who looks at condition, miles, existing damage, competative prices of similar vehicles in the same area, etc. If your vehicle is invovled in a total loss, you can ask for the replacement calculation and it has to be supplied. I am an insurance agent in TX and have a little experience from the claims side of things. Don't worry if they tell you that they will only pay for book price. You will be fine.

Kyle

The couple insurance companies I spoke with insured the Spec B as an 06 LGT. In fact on my policy, there was only a +$56 annual difference going from the 05 to 06 Spec B, which was the same as going from an 05 to 06 LGT.

If you are really concerned with insuring your car as a Spec B as opposed to an LGT, don't go with a cookie cutter policy that pays "market value". You can negotiate:

1.) True replacement cost

2.) Agreed value

3.) Comparable Replacement vehicle

The sad fact is, insurance is not your friend. They make money by not paying you money. I highly doubt if any big name insurer is going to give you more for a SpecB being totalled than an 06 LGT with documented AND insured mods.

Archived