LegacyGT.com

immobiliser ecu location

Hello everyone, I have some of a problem, bought a car after collision with no key (smart key) also bought a new key and have to program it. Locksmith told me to bring him keyless entry ecu and immobiliser ecu/ID code box. with keyless entry ecu it was sort of easy job, found it behind the odometer, but the other one... I'm starting thinking that it doesn't exist :) service manual that I have doesn't show the location I guess it's because of safety, anti theft stuff. I can find it in parts catalogue "88205AL00A" but it doesn't help much. I took instrument panel off, all of it, only the heater assy, steering wheel and all the wiring left... I'm out of options... perhaps some of you guys know the secret place of that damn immobiliser ecu? Car is Legacy 2015 2.5 limited.

The immobilizer is a trick of it's own - and it depends on car but I think that both Instrument Cluster and BIU are involved, possibly yet another ECU as well in that to make sure that it's not going to be too easy to get around.

You would need to get the car to a dealer to get that done properly.

453747.png

for the 2013-14 cars it is in the cluster and once you install a new cluster (like I did) you have to get the keys reprogrammed and the cluster programmed to the car. Ironically the Subaru dealer was the cheapest place to get it done. I would imagine that the 15+ cars are similar since they use the same basic driveline and keys.

I've contacted the dealer and he said that only option, in the case when all keys are lost, is replacing all modules that are involved with key thing... that is expensive :) but they also gave me a phone number of a guy, a locksmith, that, probably, could do the programing job, wouldn't expect that from a dealer huh :) so today the guy should come and try fixing my problem, if he succeeds then i'm happy, if not... well not so much options left.

by the way, the imobiliser ecu is hidden in heater blower motor duct and can be removed after completely disassembling heater assy :)

Check for another dealer and ask them, it shouldn't be a problem if you have all paperwork right to get a reasonable price pairing new keys with your car.

The alternative is to find a junkyard donor car for ECUs and keys.

Since you are in Europe, check: http://en.bildelsbasen.se/

Just call around. Unfortunately I'm not sure which ECUs that are involved in the immobilizer, and there may be several.

453747.png

The immobilizer is one of the services that the BIU (Body Integrated Unit) offers. Some security services are duplicated into other ECUs like the IC on some models so just replacing the BIU to an identical one with a matching key might not work because then the BIU is not a registered friend with the other devices and has to be programmed that way. I'm not sure that the BIU actually have to be replaced, just reprogrammed to accept new keys since this is essentially like adding additional keys to the car.

The keyless antennas seems weird to have to replace, but maybe they hold a secondary storage for key ID.

Try to find a locksmith that is highly qualified that works on cars. They are probably not that common and you need to have all ownership papers in order. You need to do a lot of work to find someone able to solve this for you.

453747.png

• 5 months later...
solved. Found a company that work with car electronics, doing stuff like programing ecu's, clusters, srs crash data, chip tuning and so on.. programing new key in "all keys lost" situation costs 300$

Hi, and where is the ECU located? What I must take apart?

And for programming a key there is need only ECU and key?

Archived