LegacyGT.com

Climate & Cruise Control Issues

Pertinent info: 2011 Legacy Premium, standard climate control (not dual), 117k miles, automatic.

Background: After (mostly) completing an audio upgrade (head unit, door speakers, sub, amps, new speaker wire, the whole gambit), I had the pleasure of driving to work yesterday (Monday) morning and finding out my AC/vent buttons/temp dial and cruise control functions all are not working. In addition my TPMS light came on Sunday evening, which may or may not be related. To my knowledge, I *believe* they were all functioning prior to the final step of my install, which was the steering wheel control module. I made a couple short trips around town near the end of the install and I have to imagine the AC was on (it is August after all).

No CEL, traction control, brake light, etc on the dash (none have come on at all) and this evening I couldn't find any blown fuses. I removed the last couple steps worth of steering wheel controls that I did to see if that would help and got nothing.

I guess I'm looking for any steps/guidance/public shaming with guidance you're willing to give so that I don't have to take it in to Subaru.

Problem #1: Climate Control

In the front climate control area, the only functioning buttons/dials are the fan speed control and the hazard lights. None of the vent buttons are lit or change when selected. The rear defrost button is also not lit, and I can't hear the switch when pressing it. Temperature dial has no effect on the air temperature. When I turn the fan on, I get unconditioned outdoor air blowing at me.

Problem #2: Cruise Control

I can turn cruise control on/off, but cannot set at any speed (tried at 30, 50 and 75 mph). Yesterday morning after about the 9th time I turned it on and off in frustration, the cruise light started flashing but that hasn't happened again since (driven 3 times for 1 hr+ each since yesterday morning).

Potentially more pertinent info: the final step of the steering wheel control install was to ground pins 13 & 14 on the Subaru head unit connector along with some of the new head unit wires. I am assuming I had functionality of my cruise and climate controls prior to this. Then, I made my connections, was able to program my steering wheel controls, and I called it a day, just to find out the next morning I had the above issues. This evening I measured the resistance from the battery negative terminal to my soldered ground joint and got 2.8 ohm (the wire I used to help reach the distance was independently 0.1 ohm). No idea if that last bit is useful.

I tried reseating the connector for the climate control, but alas, no change.

I'm assuming there's a fuse I haven't checked, or a relay perhaps, or that I shorted a wire somewhere during my install. I'm really, really hoping for either of the former.

Regarding the TPMS, I read somewhere on the interwebs that if all of 4 tires are at proper pressure, the remaining options are the spare or a faulty TPMS. I'm not exactly sure how the spare would be monitored by the TPMS, but I tried it anyway (everything on the internet is true, right?) and found my spare at 22 psi (says to keep it at 60 psi). The light is still on but maybe luck will finally come my way and it'll turn off on my way to work tomorrow. Also, there were rocks in the treads. That was a bit unnerving as I've never used the spare (bought it used from Subaru with 33k miles).

My wife told me on multiple occasions it would be best if I just took it in and paid someone to install it all for me, as I become the embodiment of Murphy's Law when I begin any project, be it automotive, wood working, etc. If there was a way to break "sharpening a pencil" into 28 steps while simultaneously flooding my basement, defaulting on a loan, and being solely responsible for bringing down the internet on the east coast, all while standing in the middle of the kitchen still looking for the pencil sharpener, you're looking at that guy.

I'm hoping you can all help me so I don't have to admit my wife was right. She was, don't get me wrong, but if I can fix it then maybe I don't have to admit it out loud.

Thanks a ton.

It sounds to me like you may have shorted or otherwise messed up the wiring when you did your audio install. At worst you fried your BIU, at best you need to check your wiring to the radio as that wiring is interconnected with the control panel lighting.

Solved!

There were 2 points of confusion during the audio install that got me to where I was in my original post: incorrect instructions from Crutchfield/steering wheel control module and a blown fuse.

The fuse was #4 under the steering wheel, which is labeled "Navigation system, Front wiper deicer, and Moonroof" in the Subaru manual. Shame on me for not pulling out every fuse to check originally, but, I really didn't think those 3 items had anything to do with my TPMS, cruise control, or climate control functions.

Turns out I blew that fuse due to Crutchfield telling me to ground both Pins #13 and #14 from the Subaru harness. After getting updated instructions, it turns out Pin #13 didn't need to be grounded (and should have not been touched to begin with). After rewiring per the new instructions and replacing the fuse, I'm back in business.

The TPMS issue was definitely related. Further reading in the manual indicated that if the TPMS system can't connect to one of the sensors, it will flash for 1 minute the remain on, which was what I was getting. It is now off now that the wiring is correct and fuse is replaced.

I am quite happy (and so is my wife...) that it wasn't a BIU or even some roughed up wiring causing the issue...

Thanks for the input.

Archived