LegacyGT.com

Sunroof Exploded

Was driving my 12 LGT on the freeway today when I heard a loud bang on the roof followed by the brief sound of light hail. I pulled back the sunroof cover to find my sunroof glass shattered with a big hole in the middle with edges protruding upwards. I've never heard of this before but Google claims it's a thing. Anyways, it scared me pretty good. Here's a picture of it.81e94de4af5beac0d6fce5b7cb6852ee.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

there have been a couple of threads on this sort of thing over on NASIOC - here's one (and references a similar thing happening on a BMW forum) -

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2104976&highlight=sunroof

the sunroof is tempered glass, much like your side windows and rear window - when it fails, it becomes a ton of tiny little pieces (instead of big shards of glass) - so the failure "mode" you see in your moonroof is what it's supposed to do by design. As to why it failed, more than likely a piece of debris kicked up by another vehicle hit your sunroof just right (maybe a rock), causing it to shatter. It's hard to say macroscopic observations like that it is bowed out, mean it failed that way - your car is vibrating, and the broken window will do the same thing, oscillating in and out - so the final "form" so to speak, doesn't tell you what happened at the time of initial failure, or tell you if something hit on the inside or outside. (the aerodynamic effects of the vehicle also come into play)

Didn't Gteaser have this happen while he was parked?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

That's right, something similar did happen to Gteasers Forester.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

In my case I am pretty sure something fell from the sky, bullet shell fired into the air and returning to earth or possibly a small meteorite. Whatever it was impacted from directly above pretty much right in the middle of the sunroof. It cracked the glass in a perfect spiderweb pattern but did not shatter it, no hole, just a small pea sized impact crater with pulverized glass dust around the crater. It was loud a fOck when it happened and scared the crap out of me. I was parked outside a store sitting in the car.

Archived