LegacyGT.com

Maintenance Schedule - Mileage or time?

I've had a Legacy GT for nearly 8 months. I don't drive very often so the mileage is low (about 5,000). The recommended maintenance schedule says to replace oil and filter and rotate/inspect tires at 7,500 miles or 7.5 months. Anyone have an idea as to how important it is to have this maintenance performed at 7.5 months if the mileage is so low? Any suggestions?

Oil change at 7500 miles???? Wow... Is that in the manual? I thought it was every 3000 miles or 3 months. That's when I change my oil anyway. Even the "maintance required" (different from the check engine) light in my wife's Accord comes on every 3000 miles reminding her it's time for a change.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Oil change at 7500 miles???? Wow... Is that in the manual? I thought it was every 3000 miles or 3 months. That's when I change my oil anyway. Even the "maintance required" (different from the check engine) light in my wife's Accord comes on every 3000 miles reminding her it's time for a change.

Manual states every 7.5k unless you fit in the 'severe service' category, which is actually a large % of drivers, then it's 3750. However, oils these days are good enough that IMO 3k oil changes are overkill, unless you drive the crap out of your car (i.e. autoX, track use). 3k oil changes just help oil companies/oil change places get rich.

To clarify my original post to the person that started this thread: Go 6 mos on the oil max, even if it's below the mileage interval for changing. Oil will accumulate moisture, etc. even when just sitting, and very short trips (short enough that the engine doesn't fully warm up) are the hardest on oil. If you hit the mileage interval before 6 mos. by all means change oil then.

Well believe it or not, running Amsoil 5/30 PAO oil with an Amsoil filter they( Amsoil) say to change after 20,000 miles or 1/ year.

No shit.....my buddy is an Amsoil dealer and thats what he does with his 89 Toyota truck with 490,000 miles.

I run Amsoil in all my cars (LGT after break in) but I cant follow those intervals due to warranty issues. I think most dealers would outright shit if you told em you changed your oil every 20k miles.

SO why would a company say to change your oil LESS and theoretically buy LESS??

All I know is that Amsoil rocks.

C

i dont know about 7k on reg oil or 20k on amsoil but i'll stick to 2500-3k changes w/reg oil til i hit 10k or so then switch to synthetic (prob amsoil) for 5-6k oil change intervals with an extra filter change in between........then again what do i know............

20k on an oil change sounds feasible. Car & Driver long term tests of BMWs have had their oil changed whenever the car "tells" them to. Some of the intervals are surprisingly long (first one at something like 15k). I think this is on synthetic fill.

Manufacturers will err on the safe side. Nobody's gonna risk their job and recommend a longer interval and then have to figure out why there's an increase in sludging, for example.

So, "time or mileage" will depend on what you're evaluating and what the wear-out factor is. Most things deteriorate over time.

Archived