LegacyGT.com

Just bought a 99 legacy gt 5 speed with the 253d under the hood. I had/have an 06 legacy gt, also 5mt. Anyone know if I can take the guts from my dearly departed lover, work some Frankenstein style stuff and get the turbo goodness back?

I will post pictures of her soon, im trying to figure it how to tag this lady while my 06 is being totaled

Boy, if if wanted an answer like that i wouldve bought some chinese food just for the cookie or a magic 8 ball from some goodwill... I assume you don't have any information for me as far as a starting point were the swap my desired route..

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I'm going to be blunt. Please answer the question in post #2 and that will determine if this is a significant waste of time for those who have input.

At minimum, you will be rewiring the car by tracing the wiring diagrams in the factory service manuals for both cars. You will be reworking the fuel system. You will need to mount sensors from the LGT into the older car. You will likely need to find out if this will affect emissions testing of the vehicle (my state does OBD-II readings for newer cars).

To properly do the rewiring, you will need pin extraction tools and crimpers. I suppose you could use weather-sealed solder splices, but it will make life harder trying to keep the frankenharness color codes straight when referencing the manual.

I'm going to be blunt. Please answer the question in post #2 and that will determine if this is a significant waste of time for those who have input.

At minimum, you will be rewiring the car by tracing the wiring diagrams in the factory service manuals for both cars. You will be reworking the fuel system. You will need to mount sensors from the LGT into the older car. You will likely need to find out if this will affect emissions testing of the vehicle (my state does OBD-II readings for newer cars).

To properly do the rewiring, you will need pin extraction tools and crimpers. I suppose you could use weather-sealed solder splices, but it will make life harder trying to keep the frankenharness color codes straight when referencing the manual.

Now this is what I'm after! If I must answer to get info then time isn't an issue, money comes with each passing week but I don't see why you really need to know that to share knowledge. If you're on this forum and have the knowledge I seek then I doubt I would be wasting your time anymore than you would already be yourself. I'm not afraid of the extensive job and I did figure it would need to be completely rewired, my only goal here is to get an overview of what is needed. Solving minor issues like wiring and emsissions now does me no good if the 255 wouldn't even fit, which as far as I know it will after some work, and am hoping to get a clearer picture of, not give one of what my spare time and finances look like. I know I may be a tad defensive but that's really none of your business. How is your schedule and bank account looking?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

The 99 US Legacy never came with the EJ253, it's an EJ25D Phase 1/2 frankenmotor. If you want to use your 06 LGT motor, prepare for a few things:

You'll need to find a subframe from a WRX to swap in or have someone notch and reinforce your subframe to allow clearance of your turbo downpipe. I'm unsure if the 4th gen Legacy subframe will bolt up and be able to be used.

Second, the wiring harness from the 4th gen will need to be completely migrated, not merged, to the 2nd gen. They cannot be merged because the 4th gen LGT is a CANBUS system and uses an entirely different ECU and body control system than previous generations. Everything needs to be swapped over, right down to the pedals, cluster, and probably even the HVAC system.

Here is what I'd do if I had a complete 06 donor.

Remove the motor and trans and swap the heads and intake from the EJ25D onto the EJ255 block from the 06, install a 02 WRX subframe, get an 02 WRX Turbo header manifold and matching up pipe and downpipe, install a Greddy piggyback ECU, tune and enjoy.

Archived