LegacyGT.com

Tire issues?

Hey everyone I keep having a common issue with my Subaru. It seems every 3 months if not sooner I have a leak in my tire. I had two nails in my tires already and now one of the tires keeps going flat slowly. Normally I wouldn't think much of it. It seems the front tires are the ones that keep getting the brunt of the abuse and i'm not sure what I can do to solve this issue. My question is could it just be junk tires that the dealer put on or is this a common issue with the Subaru? I have a 2013 legacy with Kelly edge A\S 215/50R17 tires. Any help would be great.

Tires shouldn't leak at all normally. I'd be fine topping off the air every six months, but anything else is unusual. If they fixed the nail holes, sometimes those fix kits leak a little. If you have Discount Tire in your area, I would suggest taking it in to them and explaining what has been going on. They have done right by me many times. In fact, I think they repair flats for free.

Buying a whole new set of tires (with a warranty) is certainly an option, but an expensive one. If you just live and drive in an area with a bunch of nails that wouldn't solve the issue. When I worked for a construction firm, I used to drive over sharp bits of metal all the time and loose air. It just came with the job.

Its funny because when I did construction work and drove to job sites never had issues with nails. Now that I don't do that kind of work this car has had nothing but tire issues. The drivers side has been repaired once or twice and the passanger side is on the second repair. I just wonder if its the tire or something else. I filled the tire up friday night and it has yet to come back on which a few days ago i was ever other day or less. Maybe weather temp is playing a part here?

Seems to me like you are just having a bad run with road hazards. Nothing to do with it being a Subaru, unless you got a hating neighbor who is putting nails in your tires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Thats what I was wondering if its a bad set of tires or what. For the most part my wifes car goes the same places I go and never has had any issues but my car is attracting everything. This time I don't see any sign of a nail or anything like that.

A tire should never be repaired with a plug alone. Always plug and then patch from the inside. Kelly tires are probably kind of bottom of the bucket quality wise, so I wouldn't be suprised at their ability to resist puncture. I would highly recommend a new set of tires because I would absolutely consider that many repairs and a continued leaking issues to be highly unsafe.

I agree I am thinking the tire was only plugged never plugged and patched. I think a new set of tires would be best. What is a decent tire for the legacy that wont break the bank?

You need to tell us the size you're running, your driving style, if it's a NY bank or a po-dunk town bank, and if you're running all-season in the winter or you have dedicated winters.

all seasons all year round. The tires are the ones mentioned above, Kelly edge A\S 215/50R17. I live near VT and travel between NY and VT driving style is normal. I speed but nothing crazy not trying to rally the car or anything fancy.

I like the BFG G-Force Comp2 A/S that I run on my Forester XT. I have also heard good things about the General GMax AS-03 and the AS-05. Those will all run you less than $100 a tire and be good performers in the dry, wet and snow.

I was having and issue with (1) tire leaking air, since the day I bought my 2013 Legacy. I have checked with soapy water found nothing. I have took the tire off and clean the inside of the rim and remount the tire. Did not work. I even replace all (4) tires. I'm still having issue with that same wheel. I'm about to order a new replacement rim and hope that will resolved the issue.

The low tire light will come on once a week. I loose about 4lbs-5lbs of air. If the car is not driven I don't loose any air. I'm thinking it's when I hit a bump in the road I loose air. I'm guessing the rim has a hairline crack somewhere.

Here is some of my tire reviews.

General Tires are very good year around tires. Snow is good. There loud.

Dunlop SP9000 - I like them allot, wear is not great, snow suck. I previous had full sponsorship with Dunlop.

BFGoodrich G-force Sport - Ok tire not to be use in snow.

Continental DWS06 - So far I'm happy for now. Waiting for snow so I can really see how these tires do.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport - Excellent tires but the wear suck. Snow sucks.

Yokohama Advan Sport - It's a ok tires, wear is good but the price is great. Never driven in snow but I won't risk it.

Kumho Ecsta AST - ok tire but for the price it's worth it. Snow suck.

Sumitomo (forgot witch one I had) - Tires will not hold grip it will slide around the turn on dry pavement. Snow sucks

Dunlop SP9000 - I like them allot, wear is not great, snow suck. I previous had full sponsorship with Dunlop.

BFGoodrich G-force Sport - Ok tire not to be use in snow.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport - Excellent tires but the wear suck. Snow sucks.

Yokohama Advan Sport - It's a ok tires, wear is good but the price is great. Never driven in snow but I won't risk it.

Kumho Ecsta AST - ok tire but for the price it's worth it. Snow suck.

Sumitomo (forgot witch one I had) - Tires will not hold grip it will slide around the turn on dry pavement. Snow sucks

Umm, so what you're saying is that summer performance tires suck in the snow? No kidding?

Fun fact: summer performance tires use a different rubber composition than all-seasons or winter tires. Since they're designed for warm summers, the rubber in them will freeze in the winter. Unless you like driving on bricks with all of the (not present) traction they confer to your vehicle, don't use summer tires in the winter.

Archived