LegacyGT.com

Potenza Tyres

john.di.martino

Because the US tires try to be a "tire for everyone," meaning the same tire for those in Arizona (hot, hot, hot) to those in winter in the mountains of Montana (cold, cold, snow, snow). So it allows people who do not want change tyres in the winter months in snowy climates to get by with the RE92. So it's a compromise tyre. And like most compromises, it does everything ok, nothing well. It's definitely not a flattering tyre for dry handling. Lots of tread/sidewall squirm. Most folks on this board, I'd venture to say, will want to change them out. I know I'd prefer that Subaru of America would fit the same tyres you have in Oz...

I've heard many excellent things about the 050's, from the guys abroad (Japan especially), and S2000 owners. Dave his it right on when he says it's a jack of all trades tire, but does nothing well. Well, maybe it gives the potential for a slight hair better fuel mileage which would mean a lot to them, but that less rolling friction means less grip, when in many cases, a car like this wants more grip. That's why I got a set of Toyos installed on my car, sure there may have been better ultimate solutions, but these should fair well enough for all seasons, but better in nearly all situations than the RE92's. Many speculate (even dealerships I've talked to), that SoA is getting a screaming deal on these tires too. That is my theory. At least if they want to offer All-Seasons only and stick with Bridgestone, offer the RE950 as a small fee upgrade from the 92's. Will handle a nice bit better all-around and make the car a bit more performance oriented.

Archived