LegacyGT.com

DIY Tail light tint/smoke

In an endeavour to introduce a more stealthy look to the rear of my 6gen, I have been investigating a suitable tail light tint method to meet my needs.

Due to longevity of product and minimal impact to the lens, it became apparent a vinyl wrap is the preferable route.

Inspired by the below YouTube clip from CK Wraps, I have decided on attempting to wrap my tail lights using 'air release' (dry application) vinyl wrap from VVivid Vinyls. Links further down.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros/cons for tinting with Vinyl wrap as opposed to spray on tint:

Pros:

• Cleaner, glossy finish
  • Tint will not fade or stain
  • Very easy to remove

Cons:

• Lengthy install process
  • Due to the concave of the recess where the turn signals and reverse lights are located, it will not be a simple one piece wrap, but will require an in-lay: ie a cutout to fit the clear portions of the lens (there are plenty of YouTube videos detailing the process of using in in-lay's with vinyl wrap)

The items required for this project are as follows:

This will be my first ever attempt at a vinyl wrap job of any nature so results may be interesting.

I have accumulated all of the required parts and am now just waiting to find a few hours to attempt the install.

I will document the process and share results here shortly for anyone who may be interested!

Earlier this evening I decided to pull the trigger on this project and set aside a couple of hours to get started.:

Starting with clear portion of the lens where the turn signal is located, I first masked around.the outline in gray tape, and filled in the cutout with black tape, so once peeled, and flipped over I had a perfect template to cut these sections from the film.

Once I cut out the inlays I got started carefully laying it down on the lens whilst carefully applying heat.

Comparrison of the smoked turn signal against stock.

20170628_221256.jpg

Finished up the evenings work by cutting out a thin inlay strip to fill in the inner wall of the lens which surrounds the turn signal, giving the light the concave shape.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Put another couple of hours in last night.

The hardest part is now complete, the main red portion of the outer lens. This was the largest single piece of vinyl required, the remaining sections are all must smaller and easier.

Now just a final section to go over the 'U' shaped section covering the tail/break lights and reverse lights to go.

Really happy with how this is turning out and considering doing a light smoke on my headlights and fogs next.

Comparison pic; stock lens vs smoked

20170630_110416.jpg

Finished up the wrap but did not have enough vinyl to complete the red section surrounding the reverse lights. Have ordered another length from VVivid.

Quite happy with the level of tint, could be a little darker, but it takes away the bright red colour so I'm happy and won't have any police trouble.

Here is a pic comparing pre and post wrap.

(Photobucket suddenly axed free 3rd party embedding - will upload again below)

• 2 weeks later...

My latest order from VVivid vinyl arrived - roll of smoke, and roll of black.

Finished off the smoked tails. Happy with the outcome. Next up are the fogs once I figure out the best way to do it.

Here's a before and after:

pixlr.jpg

Nice job.

P.S. just wondering if "LIBERTY" or "LIBRTY" was taken already?

Thanks!

Haha I actually photoshopped fake plates on the car in an app on my phone to keep my true plates anonymous 😎

• 1 year later...

Archived