LegacyGT.com

Installing a Backup Camera to Atoto Head unit not working

Wishymashy

Hello all I'm having trouble getting my Atoto Radio head unit to display the camera when reversing. I spliced the red wire to the hot Reverse Light, and the ground spliced into one of the two black wires. Nothing changes on display when i put into Reverse.

Here's the products i got.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CTA4TT6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/ATOTO-Touchscreen-Android-Navigation-Stereo/dp/B01N6NZQHS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1498350784&sr=1-1&keywords=atoto

Which wire did you splice In? The camera itself? Did you hook up the wire from the head unit to the reverse wire? Does it even have one or is it auto sensing the video input? Does it need to be enabled on the head unit?

Hello, i spliced the red wire to the Grey wire in the Reverse light and the black ground wire to the black wire in the reverse light. It has a audio input in back of the head unit which is called Rear View In. I couldn't find any option in the head unit to turn it on or off. Supposedly be automated once it's in reverse.

Well, if there is no wire on the back of the head unit for reverse and it's auto sensing, then it sounds correctly wired. As far as the rear view in that you say is audio, I'm assuming you mean an rca jack that is the video input for the camera. Once the camera has power, it will send video. Can you upload pictures of the wiring diagrams for the camera and head unit? I could guide you better with those.

EDIT: I found the wiring for the head unit. Do you have the purple wire on pin 3 of the head unit wiring harness? If so, that need to be hooked to the reverse wire as well. That sends the signal to let the head unit know you are in reverse and display the video input from the back up cam.

Edited by FAILBOT

First like to say thanks again for your help on this.

I saw that wire and when i read the instructions on the camera it was said it can be used as a front camera. That must be the issue, that wire isn't connected! Thanks i'll give it a try. It may be a little while before i reply and says it worked, removing the dashboard was a pain haha. Probably leave it for the weekend or next..

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

It's a bit late, but I'll add my experience to help others searching for a solution to this problem:

The RED wire by the rear view camera needs to be connected to a backup lamp powered when the car is in reverse. The BLACK camera wire needs to be well-grounded to the chassis; I installed a ring terminal on the ground wire and used one of the taillight mounting bolts and a couple of external tooth lock washers for a good "bite" through the paint.

At the A6 head unit, the rear view camera YELLOW RCA plug goes into the YELLOW RCIN (rear camera input) socket. The RED camera wire connects to the PINK A6 harness wire marked "Rear Camera +" which is the reverse gear detection wire.

To recap, the rear view camera RED wire needs to be connected at both the camera end and the head unit end. The BLACK camera wire needs to be well-grounded; a failure to ground well is often a cause of camera malfunctions.

Having looked at several different cameras it seems the RED power wire, the BLACK ground wire, and the YELLOW video cable seem to be industry standard colors but there could be variations.

Hope this helps!

• 4 years later...

It helps to know I did all that correctly, thank you! The backup positioning lines show up, but no picture. Do you know how to calibrate it? It may be that it's 720 so it needs to be changed to that. I tried tapping on the screen corner 6 times, then the middle. Doesn't work on the A6 PF. Thank you for any help you can provide.