LegacyGT.com

Spark plug threads oily

Took out the ignition coils and plugs to inspect after 70k km and found a little oil on the side of the boot (see pic). Looking down the plug hole (with spark plug still installed) it looks like a spark plug gasket seal wearing. So most likely a good time to do the valve cover gasket and plug seals. No biggie.

When I took out the spark plug to inspect I found oil on the threads (see pic). Is this normal or am I looking at the beginning of head gasket failure?

My vehicle has 160k km. I just did the timing belt, water pump, and tensioners last month. It's a 2011 2.5i CVT. oil changes done regularly using Amsoil and a Subaru oil filter. I check my oil regularly and no loss based on dipstick and I check the coolant reservoir regularly and I drop in coolant.

81c0425d46a84d2e2c1c4f16d287f192.jpga3d8450956967cfc7bfb6085a345296d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be reinstalling the plugs with anti-seize, this is a must with an aluminum head.

Good point. I usually use anti-seize when doing the plugs. I plan to use anti-seize when I put in the new plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And hose out the plug threads in the head with a little brakleen before you install the new ones. Just dont get too much in the cylinders, it will break down oil. Or do an oil change at the same time after the plugs are in.

Archived