LegacyGT.com

Wheel fitment question (Rota Slipstream 17x8.5)

hadvw

I got a set of Rota slipstreams really cheap - 17x8.5 ET48 for $450 - seem to be in REALLY good shape. Were someone's auto-x wheels, apparently, so saw limited use. Was planning to run them on my LGT as a track wheel - currently, stock springs + Konis, but have some RCEs I need to get rebuilt, but will still be near stock height - roads here in NorCal are pretty bad.

Initially I was thinking tires something like Firestone wide oval 245/40-17s, just to get started. Then someone said I'll rub.

Will I rub no matter what? Or can I get away with, say 225 tires to avoid rubbing? I'd prefer to do as little work as possible to "get on the track once or twice", even if it means somewhat skinnier tires.

Or is it a lost cause, and I should just try to re-sell them and buy something like TR Motorsports 17x8 ET40 and 225/235 tires?

Thanks for any help.

17x8.5 +48 with a245 wide tire will rub without a good fender roll. if the car is lowered at all. 225/45/17 will not rub.

a 17x8 +40 sits at essentially the same position outboard as the 17x8.5 +48. so tire choice will be similar.

If you dont mind a good fender roll, a 17x8.5 +48 is the one id get with a 245/40/17 tire and -2 camber all around. that will fit with no sweat.

17x8.5 +48 with a245 wide tire will rub without a good fender roll. if the car is lowered at all. 225/45/17 will not rub.

a 17x8 +40 sits at essentially the same position outboard as the 17x8.5 +48. so tire choice will be similar.

If you dont mind a good fender roll, a 17x8.5 +48 is the one id get with a 245/40/17 tire and -2 camber all around. that will fit with no sweat.

I know I'm thread jacking (sorry), but how would that change if we were talking about a 18x8.5 +38?

alittle too far out for the front of the car. +48 is better. can fit the rear will a fender pull and a alot of camber, but +38 is too low if you want a wide tire like a 245 or 255. much easier to fit with a 225 tire, but then there no point in having wide wheels and narrow tires.

look at the tire fitment thread for more answers.

Thanks. I found one OLD thread that said the same wheel rubbed on the plastic liners in the front with 245/40/17, and needed a roll in the back.

Where does one get a good fender roll? Custom shops only? Rough price?

What about rubbing on the inside? Anything to worry about there?

Archived