LegacyGT.com

Head gasket or new motor

Hello guys so I have my 02 legacy L I bought for 300 bucks it has 245000 on it.. I guess I wanna kno I if I change the head gasket and water pump can I get another 20 to 30 thousand outta it(would it b worth it Or just get a rebuilt motor)..... I got it as a project car something to work on as I am a otr trucker so it's something to do on my hometime.... Sry if this is confusing not good at things out my head on to paper lol

They were found in the 99 Legacy Brighton/L and 99-01 Impreza. They were also called the EJ221 and EJ223. Despite the 23 hp drop in performance, they're reliable as hell, with known examples exceeding 300-400k miles without a rebuild, and torque comes on at a slightly lower RPM.

i just realized im in the wrong forum-- i drive a second gen 1999 Legacy GT lol still good to know

Ya, the EJ222 from the 99 Legacy is not plug-n-play with any second gen other than another 99 2.2 car. I do have an EJ222 running in a 99 Outback 2.5 with my own custom built conversion harness that I'm developing without hacking a thing from the old harness.

Archived