LegacyGT.com

Weird keyless entry issues

shiddytiddys

I have owned and driven a 2001 LGT for quite a while now. My car has had an issues with the alarm / keyless / security system.

The car alarm will go off for no reason from time to time. When it does sometimes the horn will work sometimes it wont. I could be driving or just be getting into the car. The alarm will go off when I get in the car sometimes and I cant start my car. The buttons on my doors will almost never lock or unlock my door locks. When they do work it will only lock them and glitch out and try to lock super fast over and over. My keyfob doesn't have any control of the things that are going on. I know for sure that I have the Alpine alarm system.

But before we go to the that god forsaken reprogramming crap. Ive done it all... Replaced batteries, key in ignition door shut on/off position 10 times blah blah blah.... I've spent forever looking for online and inside of my car for the keyless entry control module. I finally found it on the passenger side of the car behind the glove box.

Well, I guess I'm wondering if anyone has run into similar issues and replaced the control module and got good results. If you did and you found out your key fob was dead useless could I just reprogram it to suit the new module? What kind of issues do you think I might have to deal with trying to solve this? I have an aftermarket radio so do you think that would trip out the stock antitheft stuff if I do replace the module?

I could buy one from Subaru but that's $100+ and I really would rather not have to spend the money but it seems like the best option.

Your radio really shouldn't have anything to do with it unless you somehow disconnected a power/ground wire wire when you put it in. What you're describing could be caused by a multitude of things which makes it difficult to troubleshoot without being hands on with it. That OEM Alpine is still essentially the same as the aftermarket version if I remember correctly. You could try disconnecting it to see if you still have the weird locking issue to at least isolate it to the alarm or car side. If the problem stays, then it's car side. If not then it's the alarm. Have you checked all your fuses. And i mean EVERY fuse. Sometimes a fused could be blown and still allow partial functionality while causing weird issues. Check all the grounding points up to the alarm. A bad ground can cause issues like this as well. My guess is that it's the alarm module itself or power to it causing the problem. If you're not comfortable in your electronic troubleshooting skills, this is really problem it should be taken to a shop for. Either a car audio/alarm shop or a Subaru dealer. Good luck!

I should be brushing up on some electrical troubleshooting skills any way. I appreciate the guidance! I'll look into the fuses as well. Last I checked there was nothing burnt, the only two boxes are in the engine bay and behind the coin tray correct?

Should only be the two fuse boxes. You could also check the voltage while the car is running. Too high or low may cause these problems. While running, should be somewhere between 12.5ish to 14. If lower or higher, then alternator would be suspect.

Archived