LegacyGT.com

Need urgent help with slipping transmission

I'm requesting your help in solving a slipping problem with my transmission. I own a 2002 Subaru Legacy Twin Turbo Touring Wagon. I encountered problems with my transmission and had to open it.

The clutch plates were loose from the plate. I replaced them with other clutches I had from a other transmission. After 2 days it drove perfectly but after that it began shuddering, binding or braking in low gear. In the 3rd and 4th gear it changes normally.

When I arrived home it di not want to go in reverse speed. It can go forward but with low power.

What could be the cause and why did the clutches come loose from the clutch plate ?:confused:

• 1 year later...
I have a 93 soob legacy. I got it last year with 125k MI. I drove it hard for 12 months, using the automatic and manual electronic transmission. It shifts smooth and the electronic manual works as it should, but recently the reverse is slipping. You can get a little something out of it when cold, but it's worse when hot, it'll barely move on level ground, never mind a slight incline. All the forward gears and shifting are totally fine the four cylinder Porsche Boxer engine really moves it down the road, but the reverse. One guy told me it's an electronic solenoid and not worth fixing, and I wonder if he's right. He helped me drain some fluid and put some Lucas stop slip but to no avail. I can easily deal with no reverse, and I figured there are a billion Subaru out there so if I want to swap out the tranny one day I'm sure to find one that matches, but I still wonder if this one can be saved. Any thoughts?

Noob central. Lol. Both posts spoken like true noobs. Lol.

Subarus DO NOT have Porsche Boxster engines. The Fugi horizontally opposed 4 cyl engine is not a Porsche design. Its is tecnically a small aircraft design.

Your trans came apart because it is old and worn. Sounds like the repair with used parts went as expected.

Archived