LegacyGT.com

Cruise Control Not Setting

It would have to be pretty far out to shimmy. It could also be something was damaged by the wrong axle pushing it out of place while it was loaded.

I had a project car with a terrible shimmy, but at a higher speed, that was caused by the damper in the front strut being completely empty of oil. I don't see how the work in question could damage that part of the strut in your case, just adding data.

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and taking it to the local Subaru dealership.

It recently dawned on me that my cross members on my roof rack could have jacked up my gas mileage. They tend to really whistle when it is very foggy and it seems like they are known to lower mpg by 1-2 mpg. I put them on a little before the shop replaced the timing belt and cv joints.

You might remember I was getting water running down below the dash on the passenger side, but that seems to have stopped as far as I can tell. As I have used the heater so much, it may have blown some debris out because I can really hear leaves and such rattling whenever I turn it on.

If I can get the shimmy fixed and the lugging out from a stop which doesn't happen now that it is cold, I will be very happy with my outback.

• 2 months later...
Thanks Doug, mine turned out to be a vacuum line just like the fellas advised right off. I inspected all the lines that were easily visible and all were fine but later found on lower fitting wide open.

Now I am still dealing with two issues, ONE is the car shimmies from about 25 mph to 35 mph and then smooths out. Started doing it right after replacing CV joints and tires. Tire shop has checked balance and I paid them to align when they put the new tires on. They think it is either the transmission or the motor mounts.

Also, when it is hot, the car lugs out from a stop but has stopped now that it is winter. Someone mentioned checking the fuel trim which I feel could be the problems because it does produce some fuel fumes. The timing belt was changed with the CV joints and tires.