LegacyGT.com

Camshaft position sensor code, please help

hey so i am new to the forum but i'll keep it brief!

2005 subaru legacy gt, auto transmission, usa, stock specs

i bought the car used from auto place that deals with donated cars. was sold to me initially thinking it needed a head gasket. i dont think that is the case. ive already replaced the radiator (old one was leaking). car has 145,000 on it. i drove it home fine with no issues.

now for the problem.

engine idles alright but is throwing a cel for the camshaft position sensor. now i know there are two sensors. i have bought two sensors and tried replacing them both. the cel did not go away. so i tested the wires for each sensor, and checked the voltages. my drivers side camshaft position sensor is showing correct voltages. the passenger side sensor is showing 12volts but not the 4 volts(i believe thats what its supposed to be).

Questions:

1) how can i tell if its the wire connection or the ecu? can the dealership bench test the ecu to see if is having issues with that one sensor?

2) ive trace the wire for the passenger side sensor across the engine, heading away from the ecu harness. where does this wire lead? is there any wiring diagrams for the engine bay that i could look at? ive looked at ecu pinouts and see a crankshaft position sensor but not a camshaft sensor.

3) is there any resolve to this without ripping up the wiring harness or blindly buying an ecu to test the signal?

my thoughts are the sensors are good(brand new) but it still throws the code, so its either the ecu or the wiring. any information on both aspects would be greatly appreciated! im new to the forum and hope this is the right place for questions!

It's a p0340 code
That's the passenger side, I think. You probably want to rule out any potential issues with wiring. The engine is supposed to have a ground strap on each head, these can fail over time. Sometimes, the grounds don't get reinstalled correctly when work is done. You'll probably want to check that connectors for the sensors are clean and in good shape. Just some suggestions.

Thanks MilesA, yea the connectors look good and the sensors are good .ill look into the grounds. does anyone know where the passenger side cam sensor wires into? looking at the wiring harness the wires trace away from the big ecu plug, on the diagram in the manual it looks like they run somewhere near the injectors(the image is a bit confusing). i want to test the continuity of the wires if possible for a break in the wires.

Archived