LegacyGT.com

Gear Selection Display

On our 2010 Legacy 2.5 CVT when selecting reverse sometimes the display will show "D" or go blank instead of "R". Everything functions normally otherwise but randomly having the wrong letter appear in the readout is annoying. Is there a switch/sensor that would cause this in the gear selector or trans?

Anyone else had this issue?

There is a switch that connects to the TCM module, then the TCM sends the info over CAN bus to the cluster for which gear to display. You could possibly have that switch going bad, some weird issue with the TCM module or cluster, OR your transmission is actually in that gear. I'm not sure how that switch actually connects to the transmission or gear selector as I've never messed with it.

There is a switch that connects to the TCM module, then the TCM sends the info over CAN bus to the cluster for which gear to display. You could possibly have that switch going bad, some weird issue with the TCM module or cluster, OR your transmission is actually in that gear. I'm not sure how that switch actually connects to the transmission or gear selector as I've never messed with it.

It doesn't do it every time, it is random. All other letters on the display work. P in park, D in drive etc. Just in reverse it's either blank where the letter should be or it displays a D. The car is still in reverse, still works properly. It just goes blank or shows a D when there should be the R on the readout.

Seems strange. Is the switch external? (Accessible from inside the car or underneath?) or is it inside the trans?

Archived