LegacyGT.com

Overheating / Coolant spray / No heat

My 2001 Legacy GT Wagon's temp gauge maxed out on the way to work today, and when I opened the hood I found that the coolant reservoir tank cap had popped back, and coolant sprayed out onto the under side of the hood. Also, no heat would come out of the vents while the car was running

We had the water pump replaced last year.

The car is now at the shop, and I'm just waiting to hear what the damage will be, as I'm not much of a car repair expert. Has anyone else had similar symptoms? Google has led me to suspect anything from the thermostat to the head gaskets.

From what you've told me I'd say heatgaskets. Sounds like the cooling system is over pressurized from the break in the gasket between the cooling jackets and combustion chamber.

You'll have no heat if there is no coolant in the system or the thermostat won't open.

With out much info it's hard to say. Let me know what your mechanic says and I'll tell you if it's plausible.

The shop just called. They said that there is a crack in the radiator, and they are recommending that we replace it. Parts and labor are around $375.

The couple that we bought the car from had the head gaskets done just over the 100k mark, and we have 143k on the car now, so I was hoping it wasn't those.

Good to hear!(better then head gaskets lol)

A radiator should cost around 120-150$ coolant is about 30$, + 1 1/2 hours of labor for everything. So his price is just slightly high. See if he can budge.

He's up selling you on the radiator. It probably only costs him 80-100$ to get.

I asked what the breakdown was on the price and he said $175 for the radiator, $22 for coolant, and $160 for the labor.

I've been going to this guy for a while, and even worked with him in a business-to-business relationship at my last job, and I'd say I'm 97% sure he isn't screwing me big time, but I also don't know much about car repairs so...

Archived