LegacyGT.com

Audio sound problem

RedLeggy_gt

Hello, not too long ago i bought a Spec B with no problems. After about a week i would loose sound from the radio for 5-10 min in the morning when i started the vehicle. After 10 min it would come back. With each day it took longer for the sound to come back after the car is killed and then started. Currently theres no sound at all both from the radio and the nav (no beep noise)(maybe my trips are not long enough lol). Ive searched alot and couldnt find a solution. I also took the radio out checked the connections, as well as with a multimeter measured the resistance between each speaker from the connector and they are all at 4.2ohms. Everything on the radio works other than the sound. Its pissing me off already. Some people told me well its the amp going out check under the passenger seat. Im not sure if an amplifier was an option or not but i have nothing under the seat. Did all legacys/Gt's come with an amp or no? Under the drivers seat theres only the nav cd drive, no sign of the amp.

What would be my next step?

Do i even have an amp?

Is the headunit dead itself?

Any help is appreciated thanks!

If I were troubleshooting this in a shop I would be using a harness that fits the car and a tone generator to rule out the speakers or amp if it has one. Sounds like the amp, whether it's external or internal of the radio. Could be a bad solder joint or component internal of the amp that heat plays a part in causing it to work or not.

If I were troubleshooting this in a shop I would be using a harness that fits the car and a tone generator to rule out the speakers or amp if it has one. Sounds like the amp, whether it's external or internal of the radio. Could be a bad solder joint or component internal of the amp that heat plays a part in causing it to work or not.

The problem is i cannot be sure 100% whether i have an external amp or not. Because i dont know how to check to be sure.

Also yesterday i took the radio out, and all 4 door panels. Checked every damn wire for a good connection, checked for shorts, and checked the speakers them selves with a multimeter. Its all spot on. And since i cannot find an amp externally my guess is for whatever reason this car doesnt have one so i need a new radio unit.

If it doesn't say Harman Kardon anywhere, then it doesn't have an amp. The models that have it have a sub and say it on the tweeters in the door I believe. If no amp then head unit is most likely the culprit.

If it doesn't say Harman Kardon anywhere, then it doesn't have an amp. The models that have it have a sub and say it on the tweeters in the door I believe. If no amp then head unit is most likely the culprit.

Thank you sir! That answers my question

Figured it out finally. Replaced the motherboard/circuit board. I was lucky enough to find an 08 radio at a local junk yard, it had faded buttons, scuffed up faceplate and the cd changer was jammed. So i gutted it and used the main board which i assume is the amp itself. Now i have sound!

Archived