LegacyGT.com

Problemed OBXT Please Help

Today I worked on installing a new turbo inlet.

I bought the car during christmas break and have been having trouble ever since.

It seemed to run well however I have nothing to compare it to, this is my first subaru. I got an accessport first thing and wanted to be able to monitor things. I read up on knock monitoring because I know that plagues these engines especially in Alaska where we only have 90 octane. I notices the engine was pulling timing and it was knocking. I did my research and concluded that there had to be some kinda of boost leak. I did a boost leak test and sure enough it was leaking from the edges of the top mount. I replaced the top mount with one from mishimoto. This made it a little better but did not solve the problem, I continued to boost leak test it and could not find any other leaks. I took it into a shop for diagnostic and they told me the catalytic converter in the up pipe came loose and destroyed the blades of the hot side of the turbo. I went to get the car and they seemed really shady that I wanted to take the car home and not fork over 2 grand for them to just replace the turbo. I removed the up pipe and the cat was in tact and looked fine, I replaced with a invidia Catless up pipe. I also pulled off the downpipe to see what was wrong because the cat was fine, and the turbo also looked in good shape, blades were all in tact, no metal fragments, and no shaft play. I put all back together, and installed a wide band. I went on to the highway to test things out, I noticed that when monitoring closed and open loop fueling that as soon as the car went into open loop the car ran very lean, 16:1 when I have it tuned to tapper from 14:1 slowly down to 11:1 (modified stage 2 OTS map just made slightly richer up top). I went back to the thinking that there has to be a boost leak somewhere, I thought there had to be extra unmetered air going into the system for it to be running that lean, I pulled the old inlet off today and behold it looks to be perfectly fine, no tears or leaks. I am so lost now. I have spent a lot on parts and taking tuning classes to try and understand these cars more. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be very appreciated.

Your post was a bit hard to read.. but welcome :).

So, do you have an aftermarket downpipe?

You have a stage 2 OTS tune installed?

Are you monitoring your learned fuel trims? How do they look like? They should be between +/-5%.

I have not datalogged,the car is apart in my garage currently, having some fitment issues with the new perrin inlet. however the fuel trims are +-25%, so horrible, both sides of the turbo look to be in great shape. yes stage 2 tune installed.

So you are stage 2 with an oem downpipe?

Usually, the pegged values for the learned fuel trims are either +/-15%, not +/-25%. You see the latter on the real time fuel corrections, not the learned ones. Which learned fuel trims are +/-25%, cause they are four of them. And which ones were positive and which ones were negative?

Archived