LegacyGT.com

Erratic fuel gauge readings

Our 2017 Legacy limited has just over 3k. We, wife and I, have noticed sudden moves in the fuel gauge. I would fill the tank, needle just over the full mark; go a few miles then park the car. Next morning the needle would be on ¾. This happens quite often. One time it moved back to over full from ¾. A gas attendant told me that it happens in all the new cars when you top off the tank. My wife does not let the tank fall below ½. (Ocd I guess!) I read that topping off the tank is damaging to the fuel evaporation canister. But the attendant was telling me that it “pins” the needle and affects the calibration. He suggested letting the fuel drop to ¼ for a few fill ups and that might fix it. My thinking is that if the car has an 18 gallon tank so I should go at least 100 miles before the needle moves to ¾. When the needle reaches to ½ we have typically gone 200 + miles. In the beginning the needle moved down slowly. I don’t have a clue……………thanks.

Sounds like the fuel sending units aren't working correctly. I don't believe it's good to 'top off the tank' after the fuel nozzle stops. Lastly, fuel gauges aren't linear so if you get 400miles per tank you won't see 100miles for every 1/4tank gauge movement. Fuel Tanks are perfect cylindrical so the biggest part of the tanks are typically the top and that's why you'll see the gauge go down slowly for the first 1/2 or so

Archived