LegacyGT.com

Engine Advice, Mechanic Over priced?

McMike

Ok - I have 2005 LGT Limited with light mods (No Cats Perrin 4”, turbo xs blowoff, removed banjo bolts coldair intake), I attempted to replace the head gasket on my own and failed horribly. around 110k on the engine and it was tuned to 16psi

The Mechanic is now telling me, 2 of the rods are bent, and compression is too low on 3 of the four pistons.

I am looking for some guidance on what to do. The Mechanic is saying the only thing his shop would Guarantee is a replacement engine starting at $5k. The shop said they would do aftermarket pistons, but no Guarantee at around $3300.

What are my options? Can you piston rings be replaced without replacing pistons? Is it worth doing? Should I consider aftermarket pistons, and do yu have any recommendations?

I appreciate any input.

$5k for a rebuilt (or new engine) with forged (I assume pistons) seems reasonable. Mine was $6k.

What made you think the head gasket needed to be replaced? What was done to determine that the rods were bent and that compression is low? Why do you think the piston rings are causing the low compression and not broken pistons? These engines can easily break pistons at the power levels you are at. What support did the mechanic give you for the issues he diagnosed?

Where are you located? What is your mechanic's name? What does "guarantee" mean in this context. What do you get for the $3300 rebuild? Was your car tuned for those modifications?

At 110k miles you have two options.

1. New OEM shortblock from Subaru ($2k) + labor + the old longblock parts.

2. Rebuild the current shortblock (new pistons, bore, etc)

Two thoughts on forged v OEM

1. Builders - the pistons are a weak point. They break. Put in forged pistons.

2. Tuners - it's all in the tune. OEM pistons are fine as long as the tune is great.

We have members who believe both and have had good and bad luck with both paths.

Archived