LegacyGT.com

Advice please!!

CA Dept of Trans has a page you can check to see if there are winter chain controls in place.

http://dot.ca.gov/dist3/departments/mtce/controlmp.htm

Most common chain control is called R2. With an AWD vehicle under R2, you still need suitable tires, but not chains.

SNOW TIRES

The California Vehicle Code, Section 558 defines a snow-tread tire as follows:

"A 'snow-tread tire' is a tire which has a relatively deep and aggressive tread pattern compared with conventional passenger tread pattern". Snow-tread tires can be identified by examining the sidewall of the tire where the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewalls.

TIRE TRACTION DEVICES

The California Vehicle Code, Section 605 defines tire traction devices as follows:

"Tire Traction Devices are devices or mechanisms having a composition and design capable of improving vehicle traction, braking and cornering ability upon snow or ice-covered surfaces. Tire traction devices shall be constructed and assembled to provide sufficient structural integrity and to prevent accidental detachment from vehicles. Tire traction devices shall at the time of manufacture or final assembly, bear a permanent impression indicating the name, initials or trademark of the assembling company or primary manufacturer, and the country in which the devices were manufactured or assembled in final form."

If you would like to view a full version of the California Vehicle Code it can be located at the following location, under California Law:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov

The Department of Transportation does not sell nor recommend specific brands of tire chains. It is best to check your vehicle manufacturers specifications for use of tire chains.

TYPES OF CHAIN CONTROL

During the winter months motorists may encounter traction device controls in the mountain areas of California. When chain controls are established, signs along side the road will be opened indicating the type of requirement. There are three requirements in California.

Requirement One (R1): Chains or snow tread tires required. Snow tires must have a tread depth of 6/32" with a "M & S" imprint on the tire's sidewall.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains required on all vehicles except four-wheel drives or all-wheel drives with snow tread tires on all four wheels. NOTE: four-wheel and all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

Thank you very much..I'll probably get me some chains just in case.

There's no need for chains. You'll be fine. I was just in Mammoth last weekend and had no problem what so ever. My buddy got around with no problem in his 2008 Honda Civic. I've even taken the Legacy to Mammoth during a storm, with the Goodyear Eagles and no chains, and it proved to be more than capable.

I did not know you were in California, though. For some reason I assumed you were from the east coast. Where in California are you from?

There's no need for chains. You'll be fine. I was just in Mammoth last weekend and had no problem what so ever. My buddy got around with no problem in his 2008 Honda Civic. I've even taken the Legacy to Mammoth during a storm, with the Goodyear Eagles and no chains, and it proved to be more than capable.

I did not know you were in California, though. For some reason I assumed you were from the east coast. Where in California are you from?

cool thanks

I live in Delano ca just north of Bakersfield ca

Might not be a bad idea to pick up some chains. Definitely pack stuff to dig yourself and get unstuck should the need arise. Shovel, salt, flares, tow straps.

Subaru's are amazing in the snow. I am located in NY and we have had 4 Subarus in my family, 2 Foresters and 2 Legacys. We put the AWD to use every winter and love it. IMO the only weakness the Legacy has in the snow is the lack of ground clearance compared to an SUV.

I recently took our 2017 Legacy out in about 15 inches of snow. The snow came up to the license plate on the front bumper and we were literally plowing snow with it. It was not a huge deal when we were clearing our own path in the fluffy stuff, but where it was really packed from other vehicles passing I was getting nervous about damaging the bumper. I ended up turning around and going home because it wasn't worth it to me to potentially damage the front bumper on a brand new car.

Good luck on your adventures.

Been out in snow with my Legacy and the OEM tires.

Let's just say, you can get going, but you will be sliding a bit when turning and braking will be affected if you don't have snow tires, so slow down.

If I was really concerned (my commute is not bad) I would have mounted snows.

My previous two subaru's had mounted snows, and they were like tanks in the snow. But I needed them then, because I lived in a hill town nearby with poorly maintained roads. Now I drive a shorter commute, less hills, and very well maintained (main) roads.

Archived