LegacyGT.com

Cheap Ebay Fuel Pump Not Reliable

There isn't a lot of information on the internet about the reliability of the cheap Ebay fuel pumps. I bought one for $34 shipped for my 1997 Legacy and it did help me confirm that the issue was the pump and not an electrical problem but the car never ran right. It seemed to lag most noticeably at speeds around 35mph give or take and after a few weeks it eventually almost stalled out on me after starting from a stop sign, which lead me to buy a Delphi pump from AutoZone for $77. Just put it in this morning and took it for a short test drive and it runs as smooth as can be.

In this situation, the cheap Ebay Fuel Pump for $34 was not reliable. My case may be rare which might be why there isn't more information on the cheap Ebay fuel pumps but I am putting this out there just in case. The Ebay pump worked and I did drive it for 6 hours through the mountains this last Sunday but it seemed to be acting up even more after that trip.

If you install a cheap Ebay pump and it doesn't feel just right, it might be a bad pump. It's probably a good idea to buy a Delphi or something else with a lifetime warranty.

There isn't a lot of information on the internet about the reliability of the cheap Ebay fuel pumps. I bought one for $34 shipped for my 1997 Legacy and it did help me confirm that the issue was the pump and not an electrical problem but the car never ran right. It seemed to lag most noticeably at speeds around 35mph give or take and after a few weeks it eventually almost stalled out on me after starting from a stop sign, which lead me to buy a Delphi pump from AutoZone for $77. Just put it in this morning and took it for a short test drive and it runs as smooth as can be.

In this situation, the cheap Ebay Fuel Pump for $34 was not reliable. My case may be rare which might be why there isn't more information on the cheap Ebay fuel pumps but I am putting this out there just in case. The Ebay pump worked and I did drive it for 6 hours through the mountains this last Sunday but it seemed to be acting up even more after that trip.

If you install a cheap Ebay pump and it doesn't feel just right, it might be a bad pump. It's probably a good idea to buy a Delphi or something else with a lifetime warranty.

eBay today is full of knock offs that are very hard to tell from the original.

For example, a genuine Walbro GSS342 fuel pump is about $80-$100 from an authorized reseller, though on eBay, Chinese sellers advertise them for less than $20. The only thing I order on eBay is JDM parts.

I ordered, what I thought was, a Exedy clutch kit on eBay with new flywheel, pressure plate, disc, and bearings from a US seller in California. The price was about right ($175) and the flywheel and clutch came in Exedy boxes. I slapped it in my old Legacy and after about 200 miles, the clutch slipped really bad. It was so bad, I could dump the clutch and it would slowly engage like I was slowly letting out the clutch. I replaced the cable thinking that was the issue, but I kept smelling burning clutch. Since it was a project car, it had been several months since I purchased it.

I removed the clutch and called Exedy and they told me that it wasn't a genuine Exedy clutch. The pressure plate and flywheel were but through searching, I found out it was a crappy XTR clutch with a measly 30-day warranty. You just can't trust eBay when buying replacement parts anymore.

Archived