LegacyGT.com

ignition cylinder broke. can I use a used one with its key?

So to add to the recent list of problems. I pulled in my parking spot tonight, and when the key was turned off. My car did not turn off. I could feel that something was broke in the cylinder. So to the question. Can I buy one of these used ones off eBay that come with a key and just use that? Or does the "new" key have to be programmed to the ECU.

So to add to the recent list of problems. I pulled in my parking spot tonight, and when the key was turned off. My car did not turn off. I could feel that something was broke in the cylinder. So to the question. Can I buy one of these used ones off eBay that come with a key and just use that? Or does the "new" key have to be programmed to the ECU.

There is an aftermarket remote start in the car. I wonder if the bypass module on that will already work. I had an issue where the only way the car would start was with the remote start. Apparently it was the cylinder failing back in October even though there was a 12v crank voltage. I guess I'll just try the used part and see what happens.

There is an aftermarket remote start in the car. I wonder if the bypass module on that will already work. I had an issue where the only way the car would start was with the remote start. Apparently it was the cylinder failing back in October even though there was a 12v crank voltage. I guess I'll just try the used part and see what happens.

Some of the fancier bypass modules requite a trigger from the remote start system to pass the signal, so you may have to do a few wiring tweaks to make it work. If it's just a dumb key holder box you should be good to go though

Some of the fancier bypass modules requite a trigger from the remote start system to pass the signal, so you may have to do a few wiring tweaks to make it work. If it's just a dumb key holder box you should be good to go though

Mine on the Legacy houses my Valet key and on my older car I had a few new keys cut but not programmed. I never ever got the universal ones to work (well the shops, I didn't wire SHAT) so I always lost a key. Only way they worked was remote start. I use to hide the unprogrammed key in the car and used the keypad for entry if I forgot my keys and was in a rush.

Mine on the Legacy houses my Valet key and on my older car I had a few new keys cut but not programmed. I never ever got the universal ones to work (well the shops, I didn't wire SHAT) so I always lost a key. Only way they worked was remote start. I use to hide the unprogrammed key in the car and used the keypad for entry if I forgot my keys and was in a rush.

Does anyone know what the price is for keys to be programmed/made? I would prefer to have more than one if I get one of these used ones off eBay.

Call around to some dealers for quotes. You may even want to try some indy's too (my BMW indy came in less than every BMW dealer).

Does anyone know what the price is for keys to be programmed/made? I would prefer to have more than one if I get one of these used ones off eBay.

Call around to some dealers for quotes. You may even want to try some indy's too (my BMW indy came in less than every BMW dealer).

I think it was almost in the $200 something range. I had my keys done 3 times but the last 2 times was because ECU fried using AP V1 so it was all included into the price. I'm almost about to do it again to get the flip keys working unless I get the courage up to mutilate one of my oem keys for the chip.

Update: installed junkyard ignition cylinder today. Remote start allows me to drive the car. The key has to be programmed. It's only $15. Currently sitting at the dealer waiting. Getting the top steering column cover off is a pain.

Edit: The junkyard key could not be programmed to my car. Had to have a new key made for $89.

Archived