LegacyGT.com

Throwout bearing too tight to install?

Anyone else run into this problem? Went to put the clutch release (throwout) bearing on before stabbing the motor last night and realized that the bearing that came with the clutch has a center diameter of 34mm while the bearing that came off has an opening of 36mm. That difference of 2mm is keeping the new bearing from sliding on. I checked with another bearing at the parts store and it too is 34mm.

I don't want to pound the new bearing on; I've never had to do that before. Thoughts?

Anyone else run into this problem? Went to put the clutch release (throwout) bearing on before stabbing the motor last night and realized that the bearing that came with the clutch has a center diameter of 34mm while the bearing that came off has an opening of 36mm. That difference of 2mm is keeping the new bearing from sliding on. I checked with another bearing at the parts store and it too is 34mm.

I don't want to pound the new bearing on; I've never had to do that before. Thoughts?

Good chance that the bearing retainer has been sleeved. DO NOT pound the bearing onto there, get the right size bearing to your sleeve. I believe the stock bearing is 33mm and the sleeve is 35mm so you'll need the appropriate bearing. Rock Auto has the sleeved bearings.

So I took Setnev's advice and started looking into the oversized bearing. Of course the Subaru dealership does not stock anything like that, but they did give me a part number for a sleeve kit that they have used in the past. I was able to take that number and do the googlie search that landed me on a 2.5rs forum that suggested that there is a Toyota bearing (31230-32100-77) that has the same specs as the one I need. Sure enough I tracked down that part number and a local parts place had one in stock. Fits like a glove! The only difference is that the Subaru part has a hard plastic race whereas the Toyota is steel. Time to lube it up and stab the motor in. Thanks again Setnev!

So an update on that bearing if anyone has this issue in the future. The bearing itself is the right size, but the retainer will need too be manipulated. The Subaru clips don't work with the new bearing but if you bend and clip the new retainer it can work.

Archived