LegacyGT.com

Leaky motor... pull it or not?

My oil pan and valve covers have been leaking since I purchased the car 2 years ago, but has just now started to drip on the uppipe and become annoying. I have all my replacements ready to go - rtv and valve cover gaskets, as well as silicone lines to replace my brittle vacuum lines. . .would it be easier to pull the motor to replace all at once or keep it in and strain myself?

This would also assume I can find someone local to help me pull it for cheap as I've never pulled an engine or own a hoist.

I guess I should mention that a few items have been replaced already:

Spark plugs

Throttle body o ring

Intake manifold o rings

Ocv

Injectors

Timing belt 30k miles ago

Pcv valve

Other things to contemplate replacing/fixing if I do pull it?

• I Donated Too

Easier to pull the motor? Yes the job would be easier once the motor is out.

But why take the motor out?

remove the two 14mm engine mount nuts and the washers from under the car and then you can put a block of wood on your jack and position it against the block/head between the exhaust headers and jack each side of the engine up each side one at a time and tip the engine on the side you're working on several inches which completely improves access. There is no need to take the engine out to do just the valve covers. Spend your time and money and energy on having some good tools which will make the job easier and you will have them for life - pulling those brittle hoses can be a PITA - get some hose pliers etc. Amazon have good tools cheap.

Perfect, that's a solution I can handle myself. I've heard people saying it only takes an hour or 2 to pull it once you've done it a few times. Didn't know if the time spent on the front end would help save a few hours and my back.

Thanks for enlightening me!

Archived