LegacyGT.com

Sleeping in back of 3rd Gen Outback?

LegacyCamper

Is this possible in an 04 JDM 3.0 Outback?

It wasnt in my 98 2.5l Legacy, not only did it seem shorter but it didnt fold as flat as the outback. I thought maybe the outback could make a handy overnight beach fishing machine. We camp a lot in our hiking tent, but I have back problems, so throwing a semi decent mattress in the back of the outback would be good. id have to make sure its shaped for the wheel wells clearly.

Have a look at this page, mate:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2004.html

According to that you have 68", which is similar to my 2005 model Legacy (Liberty) wagon. So, sleeping comfortably can be done, but you may need a few tricks if you are average male height or more. Either sleep sideways, on your side, or cut a sheet of plywood that can be used to extend the sleeping area with the front seats pushed forward. You can store the plywood in the back laying flat on the cargo floor when you don't need it.

Edit: I looked up the dimensions on my 2005 and it's a bit longer, 73". For me, at 5' 10", it is a bit tight. I have slept sideways before camping out. You will probably need to rig something up to extend the sleeping space for the 2004.

Archived