LegacyGT.com

New to subaru too much hp?

kyle_5466

I recently got a 2005 legacy GT limited with a 5 speed. I am nervious that it is "too modded" for the stock internals and drivetrain. It is making like 370 hp and 400 tq. Running e85 open source tune. And it makes 23 lbs of boost, Should i be worried? Btw It has a stage 2 clutch

I would agree with you, though not everyone will. For some people, reliability trumps power. Power is good, up to a point, more than you need is not really worth it, IMHO. There is also something to be said for driveability, as in having power down low in the RPM range and having a smooth progression of power instead of a mule kick.

Many people here have found that a conservative Stage 2 tune makes a nice daily driver with plenty of power. That would give you around 250-270 hp at the wheels on 93 octane gas. Others have had good results with a mild Stage 3 using a turbo such as the VF52. You will run into limits in the transmission and rear diff when you go much above this (sounds like you are already there, though).

When you say open source tune, where did it come from? Open source tuning can be great, it can also lead to many problems depending on how well it is matched to your car and driving conditions.

It depends on how you drive it if it's going to be a problem. If you don't do WOT shifts and similar ricer stuff but actually rev-match the gearshifts and drive smooth the risk is lower.

Also make sure you have best possible transmission lubricants and change more often. A magnetic oil plug will capture anything that indicates an upcoming problem.

453747.png

I recently got a 2005 legacy GT limited with a 5 speed. I am nervious that it is "too modded" for the stock internals and drivetrain. It is making like 370 hp and 400 tq. Running e85 open source tune. And it makes 23 lbs of boost, Should i be worried? Btw It has a stage 2 clutch

Is that with a stock turbo, and intercooler?

To make that kind of power reliably on a stock bottom end (which is questionable in my opinion) I would personally be looking to a larger turbo so you are not stressing the turbo as much to make that kind of boost. I'd want a larger intercooler to keep charge air temps down too. Clearly the person who set up the car was worried about detonation and decided on E85 as the fuel accordingly. My view is that if it can't make that power safely on regular 91 octane pump gas, then it is not a reliable set up for daily use.

If the engine doesn't already have one, I'd also be looking at installing a big oil cooler too. That turbo will be working the oil very hard, and the increased power is going to make a lot of heat.

Is that with a stock turbo, and intercooler?

To make that kind of power reliably on a stock bottom end (which is questionable in my opinion) I would personally be looking to a larger turbo so you are not stressing the turbo as much to make that kind of boost. I'd want a larger intercooler to keep charge air temps down too. Clearly the person who set up the car was worried about detonation and decided on E85 as the fuel accordingly. My view is that if it can't make that power safely on regular 91 octane pump gas, then it is not a reliable set up for daily use.

If the engine doesn't already have one, I'd also be looking at installing a big oil cooler too. That turbo will be working the oil very hard, and the increased power is going to make a lot of heat.

It has a blouch td05 16gxt turbo

Grimspeed top mount intercooler

Grimspeed intake

Grimspeed boost controller

Invida downpipe

Magnaflow exhaust

Dw 1000cc injectors

Dw 300 fuel pump

GFB hybrid bov

Aftermarket turbo inlet

Stage 2 clutch that really bites

And it has been ran with this setup for over 35k miles with no issues

The car has about 135k miles on it

OK. As mentioned heads may start lifting off the gasket/deck at that much boost. Some other things to monitor are exhaust gas temperatures, and oil temperatures. Unfortunately most manufacturers don't bother to give you oil temp gauges much less exhaust gas temp. Oil pressure would be beneficial as well.

The further past the design envelope you push your equipment the more closely and precisely you need to be able to monitor operating conditions. Remember once the idiot light comes on it is probably too late!

Def install an decent oil cooler as soon as possible. Also I would add in an oil temp gauge and oil pressure gauge too. The oil pressure gauge will let you know about alot of issues before and dashboard lights. Just make sure you know what the proper oil pressure and temp is or the gauges wont be a lot of good. You may have made it 100k miles but these things can help you go for another 50k or so.

Archived