LegacyGT.com

Turbo failed?

I was out for an aggressive drive in the mountains this weekend. I herd a metallic bang and felt a lose of power. No smoke, no fluids leaking and no engine knock or rattle. It was a long 3.5 hour drive home without any power. I could get up to turnpike speed but it would have to shift down twice to pull any kind of hill. The only thing that makes since is a stuck turbo. Any other ideas?

As soon as it happened I stopped but didn't turn it off. The engine sounds fine and doesn't have any leaks, no service lights. I drove 70 MPH for 3 hours. Every hill the trans would down shift twice to get over it. The engine also ran quitter. I defiantly heard a metal clang. All I can figure is the turbo locked up. Ill tear into it this weekend if I have time. I've had a boost boot blow off my Excursion. Same lose of power but it made a loud hissing noise as the turbo spun up.

Ok thanks guys. Guess its time to clear space in my shop and start pulling parts. Assuming the turbo is blown, what turbo is everyone using. I'm going to put a turbo back exhaust on and replace the uppie or downie, the short one with the cat in it. I would like to get it all from one place. Turbo, exhaust and gaskets. Just planning ahead for the inevitable.

Archived