LegacyGT.com

5 Speed Transmission(s) Nightmare

Skeen

This is a nightmare that keeps getting worse.

To start off, the car is a 2005 2.5i with roughly 180k on it. At about 170k miles, the original TY757VCACA developed a bearing noise that sounded like it was originating from the input shaft.

So, I evaluated my options, and ended up chancing an eBay TY757VBBAB with matching 4.11 VLSD R160. The swap was relatively easy, and the transmission went into the car as expected. The car drove fine, but... New noises everywhere. It was clear that this transmission was not right. After several opinions from different people around my local Subaru community, I came to the conclusion that the one of the output shaft bearings was bad. (I'm skipping over a few other issues this transmission had) Otherwise, the car drove fine with this transmission.

What did I do? I got another transmission. This transmission *seemed* like a much better candidate due to the fact that it came off of a JDM 2.0 LGT (EJ20Y) with low miles.

Again, I swapped the transmission. New fluid, new axle seals, etc. And everything seemed to be well, at low speed. At 60+ mph, the car begins to slowly vibrate very lightly and slowly ramps up to major vibration. This doesn't happen right away, for just a moment, everything is fine. The faster I go, the quicker it happens. So I thought, "okay, maybe the center diff is going out."

I raised the car back up, and discovered my driveshaft bearing was toast. (Rubber around the bearing was fine)

I ordered a used driveshaft, checked the bearing when it arrived, it was good. In the time between taking out the old driveshaft and waiting on the new driveshaft, I covered the rear outlet so as fluid wouldn't leak too easily, and drove the car around to see if issues persisted.

This was of course difficult because the transmission wanted to send power to the rear wheels, but of course no driveshaft. Here's where things get interesting. I slowly worked the car up to 80 mph, and no vibration occurred at all. So I thought, "Driveshaft had to be the issue."

Fast forward to today, I installed the "new" driveshaft and the car drove as expected. So I ventured onto the Interstate and sped up to 85mph. After a few miles to my horror, the vibration began just as it had before. :icon_frow

I'm left with very few options here, as I have dumped nearly $3,000 into this mess. I simply can't afford to buy another transmission. Any help would be appreciated.

Update:

Found out this issue was being caused by a gear mismatch. Transmission did not have a label on it, turned out to be a TY757VBABB which has a 4.44 final drive. My current R160 is a 4.11. I've ordered a 4.44 Rear diff.

Crisis Averted. :cool:

Was this the same noise you were having? Im having this issue now and figured it was a bearing as well. got a good deal on a "low miles" replacement tranny. going to do the swap this Saturday.

Your video seems to be private, I can't see it.

Update: I swapped in a 2004 Forester XT 4.44 R160 LSD yesterday, and the car drives great.

• 3 months later...
So my car makes the noise no matter what, going straight or turning accelerating fast or slow up to about 50mph. then its not noticable.

Have you by chance inspected all of your axles? I had an axle disintegrate recently after the snap ring on the hub side came off (also had an '05 OBXT a while ago that would shudder harshly upon acceleration up to a certain speed, replaced axles, shudder was gone). Not saying that's what I think happened to yours, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of this noise coming from one of the axles.

Do you get the noise when coasting as well?

Archived