LegacyGT.com

Synthetic oil or not with forged internals?

Currently have 3k miles on my new block and forged internals...curious as of to what oil I should start running in it :confused: previous owner says he just has 10w30 in it but he forgot the brand name (I'm gunna check the receipts later, it's in there).

So, synthetic or not? And preferred brands? I usually stuck with Mobil 1 full synthetic on my previous vehicles. :) thanks in advance ~

^ Not enough zinc for the turbo's liking.

Around here, you'd find that rotella t6 is a popular choice due to higher zinc levels.

It's a really strange thing, IMO, for an engine to have a preference to a specific oil. My 2008 STI was great with Motul 5w40, but the 2008 Spec B I have now drank around a quart every 900 miles. I just switched to Rotella T6 5w40 and so far it's looking like it needs a quart every 1500 miles.

This is anecdotal, but Mobil 1 is the only synthetic oil I've seen mentioned as being a poor choice for this engine/turbo. Nearly everything else seems to be fine. Rotella T6 is popular because of its bang-for-the-buck and (as mentioned above) high zinc levels.

It's a synthetic. One of the main reasons it's so popular is that you can just pick it up at walmart for a reasonable price.

If you just order up a 6 pack of OEM filters off amazon and get T6 at walmart the oil changes become pretty cheap for quality stuff.

Mobil 1 comes in several different formulations. One concern other people have noted in their used oil analyses is that the Mobil 1 5W-30 tends to get sheared-down (thinned) after a few thousand miles. There is a Mobil 1 European formula that is 0W-40, that has gotten good results. I've seen it on sale in the 5-quart jug for about the same price as Rotella.

That said, synthetic is a good idea for your turbo motor, and there are many good oils out there.

On my OEM block, I use Rotella T6 and have positive blackstone labs reports. Run UOA no matter what you chose to see how your forged internals like the oil, it's cheap insurance. Stick with OEM filtration or the 2009+ Mazda Rx8 Toyo Roki filters.

If you know who the engine builder is, I'd probably contact them and take their advice over anyone on the forums though. Just my 2 cents.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Archived