LegacyGT.com

? for OCdetails

I was at a body shop today and asked about paint sealer opposed to wax. The shop told me the sealer is "bad" for newer paint because it wont let the paint breathe and will cause the paint or clear coar to spider web. I've been using Wolfgangs products and think they're awesome. Is this fact or...............?

That is total BS. There isn't anything about a sealant that would cause it to do that. Paint doesn't need to breathe anyway. If a body shop is telling you about paint breathing then that would be a shop I suggest avoiding.

"spider web" is also known as swirls. It has nothing to do with your sealant or wax. It has to do with drying your car with crusty towels or by rubbing grit into your paint with dirty rags while washing. Sealants and waxes do nothing to cause it. Ask any detailer what they think about sealants and they'll tell you the same thing.

If none of that makes sense then think about this... would I be using something that causes swirls if I could possibly avoid it? I've been using sealants on my 99 Accord since we bought it in 98. It gets a sealant application at least 3 times a year and has for the last 6 years. The paint isn't choking and it's not swirling out of control. That body shop guy knows nothing about sealants or waxes. Just because you can paint a car doesn't mean you know anything about paint care. I know quite a bit about paint care but I wouldn't be out giving advice on what sort of paint to buy. :lol:

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I was at a body shop today and asked about paint sealer opposed to wax. The shop told me the sealer is "bad" for newer paint because it wont let the paint breathe and will cause the paint or clear coar to spider web. I've been using Wolfgangs products and think they're awesome. Is this fact or...............?

Maybe the paint shop guy was talking abuot sealants on new paint. It is my understanding that most places will recommend that you do not wax or seal your car for a minimum of 30 days after the car has been painted (I have heard up to 90 days). This allows the paint to "breathe" or cure. After that, it shouldn't matter.

Maybe the paint shop guy was talking abuot sealants on new paint. It is my understanding that most places will recommend that you do not wax or seal your car for a minimum of 30 days after the car has been painted (I have heard up to 90 days). This allows the paint to "breathe" or cure. After that, it shouldn't matter.

I agree, this is most likely what the guy was talking about. I'm somewhat surprised though, because my understanding was that newer paints need less cure time, and it makes very little sense that the paint shop wouldn't hard shell cure the paint before giving it to you. If the purpose is to leech off the solvents, then that should be accomplished quickly.

It's the solvents that are the concern. If you wax or seal the paint too soon then you tend to get haze on the surface. For new cars it doesn't matter since they were likely painted more than 30 days before you bought it. Factory painting techniques are different than body shop techniques anyway. The body shop can't very well bake your car after they paint it. It is always a good idea to follow the body shop's instructions on when to wax your car, but I wouldn't hold much stock in their suggestions on what to wax it with. They aren't expert in that field generally.

OCDETAILS BLOG

lol yeah, that's why sealants are the #1 product of choice for automobile enthusiasts. We use it because it cracks the paint and causes it not to breathe. :lol: The most obsessive types I know use sealants because they protect better, last longer, and look better than carnaubas (which seal the paint every bit as tight as a sealant, they just don't last as long). That body shop guy was just an example of a company that doesn't drug test their employees. If sealants harmed your paint then they wouldn't be a multi billion dollar industry and car manufacturers wouldn't apply them to new cars before they sold them to you.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived