LegacyGT.com

Subaru Legacy 2L GT Spec B dash upgrade help (Nexus 7 mod)

I was looking at replacing my factory dash in my subaru with a nexus 7 tablet. Currently the reverse camera is connected to the factory unit with the factory connector. I was wonder if it would be possible to adapt the camera so I would be displayed on the nexus 7 tablet.

I've been told it needs to be adapted to usb but I can't find such an adapter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Capture.thumb.PNG.5355613d63381247f2cd9641a2e43376.PNG

Capture1.thumb.PNG.1dc7c40e6eff961c4b3efbd9914bc29f.PNG

Just finished up my nexus 7 install with the JDM bezel. I don't have a backup cam but have been researching it quite a bit. To start with, you're going to want to use Timur's Kernel. It has support for backup cams with the use of a compatible usb converter. Timur's site recommends UVC compatible devices. You can find more info here: https://timur.mobi/timurs-kernel-n7-2013/

I've set up the tablet with that kernel etc. Just need to find a USB adapter for the stock Subaru reverse camera as I really don't want to lose that functionality. It would render the whole upgrade useless. Could you point me in the direction of such a converter?

Thanks very much for you reply and help :)

What kind of connector is on the stock backup cam? I'm not familiar with it and can't find much info online. If it's just a simple RCA connection then you can buy something like this: https://www.amazon.com/VOLD-Capture-Device-Remote-Network/dp/B01N0V9285/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487555182&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+rca+converter+uvc

If it has it's own harness, then you should be able to adapt it to RCA and power input. You would then connect the power to your reverse lights or to a relay for manual control. Then add a converter like the one above and you should be good.

Archived