LegacyGT.com

What GPS Do You Have ??

JBLU24

I'm looking to get a GPS for my girl...she drives up n down the east coast for work n she could get lost going around the block......a friend of mine has the Magellan Roadmate 700- pretty nice but I dont think she needs all that.....anyone else using anything similar? can u comment on user friendliness as I dont think she can figure out anything difficult, lol

Lowrance iWAY 500C ... has 20 GB storage, 10GB of which can be used to store OGG (or MP3) files for playing

Tomtom GO 700 ... live update via Bluetooth connectivity to cellphone. Can be used to command cellphone to dial out. Runs on Linux (nuff said)

Both are portable, have great interfaces and midrange-priced.

I have a Garmin Streetpilot III. They are no longer sold but the equivilent is in the $500-$800 range. I have had mine for over 4 years and it's still working great. I paid over $1000 for it but it's definately been a great investment. I've used on trips all over the country - much better than a built in unit because you can use it in your cars or in rentals.

From a previous post:

white_25.gif

Title: Senior Member Rank: Donating Member Location: Erie,PA Car: 05 White GT Ltd. Sdn 5MT Posts: 399

post_old.gif 07-17-2005 , 03:30 PM sendpm.gif find.gif edit.gif quote.gif qreply.gif A couple of us have the Garmin Quest. Got it for under $400 (including rebate) at Best Buy. Portable unit, reasonably accurate, voice commands, can be used on foot in cities. Smaller screen, limited internal memory and no flash or SD card capability. I have PA, NY, OH, MI,NJ, and ON loaded on it and it is full...so for long trips you'll be downloading from your laptop each night. Here's a pic:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachme...tachmentid=6596

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

I have a Garmin Streetpilot III. They are no longer sold but the equivilent is in the $500-$800 range. I have had mine for over 4 years and it's still working great. I paid over $1000 for it but it's definately been a great investment. I've used on trips all over the country - much better than a built in unit because you can use it in your cars or in rentals.

My company car is outfitted with the Garmin Streetpilot III. It's incredibly accurate and extremely durable.

However by today's standards I find that it's extremely slow to calculate routes and doesn't offer a 3D display mode. It gets the job done though!

My company car is outfitted with the Garmin Streetpilot III. It's incredibly accurate and extremely durable.

However by today's standards I find that it's extremely slow to calculate routes and doesn't offer a 3D display mode. It gets the job done though!

I agree that the Streetpilot is slow in calculating routes. It's also quite a process to program in addresses by going through letter by letter. The newer models are more intuitive. However, I've always been able to get to where I'm going with the Streetpilot. Sometimes it's a little misleading (especially at rotaries) but in the end it always works out OK.

I have mine loaded with all of New England. Over the last four years I managed to loose the book that had the access code for the entire country. My harddrive crashed last year and I've been unable to load any other regions onto my data card. I'm heading to Chicago in a week and a half for a weeding and I'm hoping the the basemap in the Streetpilot will sufice in getting my wife and I to where we need to go in our rental.

I have the TomTom Navigator 5 bluetooth wireless reciever for my PDA. My PDA is mounted in a TomTom cradle with a ProclipUSA mount for the Legacy. I got a 1GB smartmedia card and can fit all of USA and Canada on it. Pics to come soon, but if you're in the market for NAV and already own a PDA, this is a cheap alternative. The Navigator 5 bluetooth is $279.

Rick

Lowrance iWAY 500C ... has 20 GB storage, 10GB of which can be used to store OGG (or MP3) files for playing

Tomtom GO 700 ... live update via Bluetooth connectivity to cellphone. Can be used to command cellphone to dial out. Runs on Linux (nuff said)

Both are portable, have great interfaces and midrange-priced.

Ive got the lowrance iway 500c also, I think it works pretty damn good for the money, I have no complaints yet. Ive only had it a couple weeks.

Iggy

I use a Belkin branded GPS system on my Dell Axim X50v. Has a bluetooth GPS reciever I can stick anywhere in the car. Mounted with a Seido powered speaker mount.

Really works well.. looks really nice.. also allows me to watch movies, browse the net, and listen to MP3's. With the jazzymt connector, all runs through the stock stereo.. Works well.

Alpine-852A w/ TME 580 screen replacing the cubby. Pretty accurate and makes changes to missed directions in roughly less than 30 seconds.

Do you have pics of this installation? Thanks.

I also steered a friend into purchasing a Garmin c340. He's used to using an OEM Lexus nav system and was extremely happy with the c340.

the iQue is the pda one isn't it? i forget

iQue is a Palm OS based PDA with an SD card slot. It is a couple of years old now though, and some of their WinCE based PDAs (M3, M5) may be a better solution if you want pure PDA performance. Personally I use it more as a nav device than PDA. The PDA form factor is very nice for travelling when space is tight. I'm using it right now while in Germany for business. The C330 would be a bit bulky to use for the same purpose, but I feel is better as a dedicated auto nav system.

Archived