LegacyGT.com

Bad center differential bearings? (Youtube link)

shawn_g

Hi, before I order parts and start tearing into my car (2006 Legacy GT 5MT), can someone watch the video and give a second opinion on the noise I'm hearing? From what I've read and the videos I've watched, it sounds like a typical case of bad center diff bearings. I started noticing it about a week ago.

The noise starts above ~20mph and gets louder as I go. The pitch changes with the speed and the sound doesn't change if I'm in neutral or if the clutch is pressed.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Update: It's fixed now. It was indeed one of the bearings in the differential. I ordered the parts from the Differential Bearing Swap sticky. Everything came out and went back together smoothly. I used a bearing splitter and a press as suggested in the sticky and it was a piece of cake to get the old bearings off and the new ones pressed on.

• 2 weeks later...
I am having the same issue right now with my 2010LGT (6 sp MT) with the noise. I took it to the Subaru dealership and they are telling me(without even going into the tranny) that it is the main input and output bearings and that I would have to replace my transmission. I am finding this hard to believe. I have yet to see a thread on this and have seen more with the differential issues as well as youtube vids showing the same issues.

I am having the same issue right now with my 2010LGT (6 sp MT) with the noise. I took it to the Subaru dealership and they are telling me(without even going into the tranny) that it is the main input and output bearings and that I would have to replace my transmission. I am finding this hard to believe. I have yet to see a thread on this and have seen more with the differential issues as well as youtube vids showing the same issues.

That's a bad situation. Without them even going into the transmission, you might be better off to find another dealer or convince them to replace the differential bearings first. Depending on the mileage, you'll probably end up replacing them at some point anyway. I don't know what a dealer would charge for labor, but it's only ~$130 in parts.

I would guess a new transmission includes the center diff, so it's probably their very unnecessary go-to repair anytime they hear any kind of transmission related noise.

Which bearings did you replace? Roller bearings? Did you only do the front diff or did you do the rears as well?

Here's a copy and paste from the order. I only replaced the bearings in the center differential.

QTY 1 - 806230170 BALL BEARING $26.89

QTY 1 - 806255010 BALL BEARING $31.17

QTY 1 - 806322080 ROLLER BEARING $28.46

QTY 1 - 806330120 ROLLER BEARING $24.73

QTY 1 - 806735210 OIL SEAL $5.52

This thread is a good resource:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/legacy-2-5gt-center-differential-bearing-swap-204445.html

Archived