LegacyGT.com

Heads Up Display

Is there any chance Subaru will introduce a HUD in their vehicles? I have an after market one in my 2016 liberty and find it invaluable.

After a couple of hours driving on a highway at 110kms and then entering a small town (with the obligatory revenue raising fixed speed camera installed) and having to drop to 50kms, I find the HUD a real help.

I first thought it might affect the vehicle's "Eyesight" system but I've never had a problem with it.

They might down the road but HUD is usually a luxury brand type of a thing.

We have it in one of our cars and the second wife gets in it, she turns it off. It is definitely not for everyone.

Also in the US, Legacy shows the speed limit as part of NAV so you always know what the speed limit is.

I'm a big fan of HUDs, but doing them properly is expensive. Proper optics are expensive and somewhat complex, and the cost of an optically-correct windshield is substantially higher. In addition, designers seem unable to resist cluttering automotive HUDs with non-essential information ... which tends to defeat the primary reasons for employing a HUD in the first place.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Also in the US, Legacy shows the speed limit as part of NAV so you always know what the speed limit is.

Actually we have the same here ... but unless I am wrong, the digital speed limit readout that I assume you are referring to on the so called "Multi information Display" is not available in combination with all other available screens. For example, on the "Average Fuel Consumption Screen" it is not possible to combine that with the digital speed readout. If I am wrong here I'd love it if you could correct me because on a long journey I would prefer to see my average fuel usage, plus how much estimated fuel miles I have left, and still have the digital speed showing .... but I can't see how to do that. I find that unusual. I would have thought that a digital speed readout would be permanently shown, and that using the appropriate tabs would merely alternate between the other screens (whilst always showing the speed).

Like I say, if i am wrong on this PLEASE correct me :confused:

I'm a big fan of HUDs, but doing them properly is expensive. Proper optics are expensive and somewhat complex, and the cost of an optically-correct windshield is substantially higher. In addition, designers seem unable to resist cluttering automotive HUDs with non-essential information ... which tends to defeat the primary reasons for employing a HUD in the first place.

Over here, HUD's are becoming the norm with many manufacturers. (I notice that the 2018 Camry has it). The technology has been around for over 50 years (in planes) and I wonder if the hold up is customer awareness rather than the expense.

I do agree with your point about non essential information .... all I want is the current speed ..... hopefully what is displayed on future HUD's can be adjusted to suit individual preferences.

I had a 1994 Altima that had a heads up display (speed only).

I am happy with a digital speedometer, I am surprised that my wife's 2017 RDX hasn't got one (unless you have cruise on, but then it is tiny, not the size of the one in the Legacy).

The answer why the Legacy doesn't offer a heads up display? Expensive, and there isn't a large group of Subaru owners picketing SOA demanding it.

Is there any chance Subaru will introduce a HUD in their vehicles? I have an after market one in my 2016 liberty and find it invaluable.

After a couple of hours driving on a highway at 110kms and then entering a small town (with the obligatory revenue raising fixed speed camera installed) and having to drop to 50kms, I find the HUD a real help.

I first thought it might affect the vehicle's "Eyesight" system but I've never had a problem with it.

You can always lookup a company called Navdy; they actually make a HUD unit that looks pretty promising.

https://shop.navdy.com/products/navdy-nav?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=19948040519&gclid=CP7oksOVj9ICFRBYDQodWQgItg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can always lookup a company called Navdy; they actually make a HUD unit that looks pretty promising.

https://shop.navdy.com/products/navdy-nav?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=19948040519&gclid=CP7oksOVj9ICFRBYDQodWQgItg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually have a Polaris HUD. (refer below link)

http://mypolaris.com.au/HUD/Installation_video/hud.html

I think it's great. But I would like a factory installed one so as to remove the wires and the need for a dashboard unit. But until Subaru get around to it, I'm happy with the after market Polaris. It does a great job, it is pretty thin and doesn't take up much room, it only cost me $120 when I bought it, (it comes in a "white" display now which is better IMHO) and I reckon it's saved me big bucks in speeding fines. I'm not a lead foot in the least, but I do a lot of highway driving, and I found that after traveling on a freeway for 2 or 3 hours at 110kph and then coming into some small country town with a 50kph speed restriction (and over zealous speed police) it was a lifesaver, because without the HUD I would naturally slow down but not always quick enough to get to the required 50kph ...... with the HUD it just made the current speed so obvious. And I have never found the HUD to be distracting in any way ..... I position it in my peripheral vision ... so it's always visible but not distracting.

Archived