LegacyGT.com

Starting issues....

So, this morning I got in my lgt and ran a couple errands. The last stop, the car didn't want to start, I had to key it four times before it fired and stayed running, and ran good. Was running good prior as well. Drove home, pulled it in the garage, and put my new power steering pump in, and went to back out of the garage, she wouldn't start. Finally, after a while of playing around, changing out the alternator and the battery, it did eventually start, back out of the garage, let it run, test drove it. All is well. Get back, and shut it off. Tried to start it right away, and it will not stay running at all. Took my key down to my local ace hardware and had them check the key to make sure the transponder was still working, and all seems well with that.

I'm not sure what is going on, and just looking for someone who has been there for some insight. I took a video but it won't let me upload it here. This was the only thing I could pull up on my solus. Which made me run and check the key at the hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkab38e9a16ef47f71cf62083ebfded5fc.jpg

could be many things. if the car was cranking, it's not the key. it's unlikely, but when i replaced my battery the negative wouldn't stay on properly because of this plastic spacer clip in the ring that goes over the post. so maybe try to pull the negative cable off without loosening it, to see if it's not snug enough.

could be many things. if the car was cranking, it's not the key. it's unlikely, but when i replaced my battery the negative wouldn't stay on properly because of this plastic spacer clip in the ring that goes over the post. so maybe try to pull the negative cable off without loosening it, to see if it's not snug enough.

It's weird, it would run for like twenty seconds, sometimes less. I have new battery terminal/connectors on, I made sure they were tight, I had thought I read here ones that a bad or low battery could cause an issue so I put the new battery in from my other legacy. That made no difference, and for a simple test quick I swapped alternators as well with the same results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't see that screenshot when I posted my reply. After doing some quick searching, it sounds like someone else had this issue, and it was due to a poor ground. I remember hearing Max Capacity always talking about the grounds on these cars, and to check them. So I would inspect your ground wires and make sure none are frayed or anything.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-ice-security/278096-serious-issue-help-needed-2.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ground-strap-locations-253629.html?t=253629

• I Donated Too
grounds are a good place to start because it may well be a fault with the immobilizer circuit as the actual error code suggests, so you need to start working though the elements that make that work...

Thanks guys, I didn't even think of a ground and I think I remember reading mc's thread once on it. This is my wife's car, so I gotta get it fixed asap haha. The only thing I have had done to this car, was the recall on the brake lines and airbags. That work was done last month. I think just to get that out of the way, I'm putting in brand new straps tomorrow. Maybe I'll put an extra one or two in to play it safe.

Picked up new ground straps this morning. Was going to change them in our shitty weather but decided to see if the car would start, and make it easy and pull in the garage. Luck have it, it fired right up. Pulled in the garage, shut it off, re started it about four times, all four times it started and ran like it should. Figured I was lucky, changed my ground straps out, and fired it back up. Ran good. Pulled it out of the garage. Shut the car off, two or three minutes later, figured I'd check it... back to the same bs. I looked thru the links in the above response ^^ I did find some pretty helpful info, but electrical is definitely my weak area...

Do you have suretrack on the Solus? Try searching the code and see where it leads you. Immobilizer makes me think of ignition related items like the switch or key.

Yeah, I agree. Im pretty sure it does, I'm gonna look in a few here. I checked the pedal switch and they are fine. I had stumbled on material related to those switches and the p1572. I'm leaning toward the key myself, but idk. My wife just told me earlier that this happened to her once a week ago and gave it no thought. So, if it's not an all the time occurrence, I wonder if the key could be going bad. Time will tell. I'll check for suretrack and go from there.

You say the transponder is good but when was the last time you replaced the battery? Start with a $2 fob battery and see if that fixes your problem.

My key doesn't separate. There's a chip imbedded in the key. To get a new key cut, they want $70 which is fine, but they tested my key, and the key is recognized by their computer. I could change my battery in my fob, but I didn't think that would stop the car from running. My car is a 2005 lgt limited. I've been wondering if the chip in the key had been damaged maybe by water or just age,idk. I attached a pic of what my key and fob look like . 232b6ee0c2678f3995d58d22edd946b8.jpg

Unfortunately I don't. After work today I started the car, fired right up, stayed running so I took it to the dealer. They can diagnose it. If it's something I can do I'll do it, but I have a feeling I'm really going to hate what they tell me.

• I Donated Too
I would be surprised if it was fixed with a new key unless you had physically damaged the RFID inside, it's passive. Just seems like a dodgy connection but if they do you a new key they will use the SSM to relearn all the keys which may sort out the brain of the thing... who knows.

Well, to my surprise the dealer called saying the car was done. Said they reset the transponder and everything is back to normal. Seems to be working like it should, time will tell. Thanks for the information that you guys shared. Really appreciate it.

Archived