LegacyGT.com

Nut/Screw/Something Sliding around in dash - Where?

Hello all,

I've searched the forums and noticed the many "annoying noise" threads. Some similar to my situation, but not quite, and was hoping for some ideas on where/how to track this noise down. I will plan on mentioning this noise (if it still exists - hopefully not!) at the time of first service. My salesman said to do the first oil change at 3k, then every 6k afterwards. I did mention this noise to him recently and he said to bring it in and they'll gladly take a look. I'm a little skeptical of having them tear apart the dash, or even my ability to reproduce the noise on demand. I'd like to try to at least pinpoint it a little more first, but will certainly mention it at the time of first service.

I have a 2017 Limited (no eyesight, no nav) that I leased about 2 weeks ago. The car had 45 miles on it when I took delivery and I started hearing "the noise" roughly 4-5 days after. I'm assuming it was probably there all along and it just didn't happen or I didn't pay attention to it. Now that I know it exists, I can't stop thinking about it.

The Noise: it happens (only sometimes) when accelerating from a stop, coming to a stop, or taking a left/right turn at speed. To me, it sounds exactly like a loose nut/bolt/something hard rolling around within a hard-walled cavity. In the driver's seat it sounds as if it is coming from left of the steering wheel where the A-pillar meets the dash or possibly below towards the fuse box/hood release. Possibly inside the door panel, but I cannot reproduce the noise when I swing the door back and forth. On some occasions while driving I have been able to steer back and forth and reproduce the sound of this item sliding. I'm convinced there is a loose [something] rolling around but I do not know where?

What I've tried:

* Removed everything from glove box, center console, sun glass holder.

* Snaked a magnet on a 1-foot wire down the driver side upper HVAC (the one that is angled towards the driver side window with fixed louvers). I have no idea if the item is magnetic or not.

* Took a cheap usb borescope camera and snaked it down the same HVAC vent as above. Also snaked it in and around the fuse box and underneath the steering wheel. Did not see anything, but this was a rather quick attempt.

Any ideas on where to look or where there could be a cavity that would allow something to roll around in/around the dash or fuse box area? If there is something inside one of the HVAC vents, am I out of luck? It sounds like the item has a decent amount of room to move in all directions. In roughly 2 weeks of driving it hasn't rattle out of wherever it is yet.

I know this is a long shot and I should just "bring it to the dealer". Eventually that will be the case once the first service rolls around. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dealer. If you take the dash apart you might find it, or might break some of the plastic connectors. Let them do it, if it drives you nuts, let them do it sooner, rather than later.

In the meantime, try to figure out if you can reliably duplicate the noise, because they might take it out for a test drive and say they don't hear a thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Ended up bringing the car to the dealer. Went on a test drive with the service advisor and we heard the sound almost immediately. Got back and had a tech test drive it alone. About 20 minutes later they showed me a bolt that they found underneath the carpet some where down by the driver's floor panel. Thank goodness.

While it was there I also had them check the coolant - they agreed it was a tad low and topped it off.

I also had them check one other thing. I have noticed that if I put the steering wheel dead center straight and hold it there, the front of the car very clearly drifts to the right. There is no pull in the wheel, the front of the car ends up just angling right. I'm assuming this is a wheel alignment issue? When I did this same demonstration on our test drive the service advisor said "you should never hold the wheel perfectly straight" -??????? Then I was told about the "crowns in the road" which I understand, but I think the car very clearly has a pull to the right. When the tech took it out (alone) to find the sound he also did a road test for what's listed as "Steering System" and indicated that there was no pull to the right and test drove for 2 miles. I'm not sure how they came to that conclusion. It isn't horrible, but there is an obvious left-handed correction that needs to constantly be made. In the driver's seat it almost feels like the car goes down the road sideways once it starts drifting and the wheel is held straight. I guess I'll wait for my first oil change at 3k and have them test drive it again. I will probably end up just paying for a 4 wheel alignment.

I have noticed that if I put the steering wheel dead center straight and hold it there, the front of the car very clearly drifts to the right. When the tech took it out (alone) to find the sound he also did a road test for what's listed as "Steering System" and indicated that there was no pull to the right and test drove for 2 miles. I'm not sure how they came to that conclusion.

Either take the tech on the same road that you have problems with .... or get him to take you on the road he says where there is no pulling ..... that should either confirm or eliminate the road as the cause.

Archived