LegacyGT.com

Subaru Extended Warranty???

Got a letter from Subaru as our '16 Legacy is "nearing" (19,xxx) the 36,000 mile mark where the warranty ends asking if we wanted to sign up for their extended warranty that goes to either 60,000 or 80,000 miles or 5 years.

Is the extended warranty they offer worth it?

It's an insurance policy. You can bet that the companies make more selling them than they have to pay out in claims. So, on average, not worth it.

There are exceptions. If you expect expensive repairs on your particular car, or if the dealer throws it in for cheap to sweeten the deal, it might be good to have. These warranties can be found heavily discounted.

Bear in mind you have, IIRC, a 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty. That will cover some expensive repairs.

You also have a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty on emissions-related items. Also some expensive repairs.

Recalls and TSBs may pay for problems that are safety-related and/or occur on a large percentage of a particular model.

Got a letter from Subaru as our '16 Legacy is "nearing" (19,xxx) the 36,000 mile mark where the warranty ends

36,000 miles ?????? Am I reading that correct??? :confused:

The following is from the Subaru Australia website ....

" New Vehicle Warranty

Whether you're off the beaten track or cruising the open highway, you can rest assured knowing that your Subaru is covered by a 3 Years/Unlimited Kilometres warranty.

(and actually when I purchased mine in 2016 there was a promotion operating and I got 5 years unlimited kms. Seems to me that you guys in U.S. are being ripped off severely ..... (maybe The Donald needs to fix this)

Got a letter from Subaru...

BTW, these offers usually don't come directly from Subaru. These are warranty companies that do this as their main business. Think of insurance salesmen - that is who you are really dealing with. They would like you to believe the offer is coming from Subaru (usually).

You can still extend your factory warranty up until the 3/36 mark. Just go to your dealer and ask them about it and make sure they understand you are asking about the Subaru extended warranty program and not a third party.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I got the gold plus for piece of mind. They have paid for tire repairs which I have had a few nails and they paid the repairs in full and it's 6 year 60,000 miles. I may never really use it but it's just piece of mind that covers bumper to bumper. I believe you can extend it after that as well. Being that this vehicle has a CVT and push start button I know those can be expensive to fix so that's why I bit the bullet. Everyone has their own point of view and opinions which are also insightful.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I'm all set with a extended warranty, Ill take the 1200 or what ever it is stick it in a Ally online account and use it if i need it or use it towards the purchase of the next car. You spend $1200 for a 70,000 mile extended warranty your betting something happen between 36,000 and 70,000 miles for $1200 it is actually a 34,000 mile warranty.

Archived