LegacyGT.com

OBXT - My steering rack is binding and I can either have them replace with a remanufactured at a shop that I already have reason to question their mechanical skills {on insurance}, or take the payout, drive 150 miles on it to get it replaced by an expert for 40% of the cost plus get an STi rack. Ive driven the car 30 miles as it is. Its drivable, even at 55mph, Steering is a bit firm, especially once you try to an intersection turn. Id definitely be making sure to avoid any sharp parking lot navigating...

Is it something I shouldn't risk?

Let's see, driving down the road in traffic at 60 mph with no steering...sounds like a bad plan.

Maybe this is a false dilemma? Can't you negotiate with your insurance company to let you pay the difference for the STI rack, have shop 1 replace it, drive to shop 2 and have them inspect the work?

Let's see, driving down the road in traffic at 60 mph with no steering...sounds like a bad plan.

HAHA. It has steering, but I'm worried if it wil survive it 150 miles

Get AAA Premier, or upgrade your existing AAA, and then take advantage of the 200 mile max towing and get your car towed to the place 150 miles away.

https://calstate.aaa.com/membership#benefits

but this man, this is good plan. I currently have AAA Plus. They aren't going to B*tch if i upgrade, then call a few days later to have a car towed from my house to the shop?

but this man, this is good plan. I currently have AAA Plus. They aren't going to B*tch if i upgrade, then call a few days later to have a car towed from my house to the shop?

I would tell them when you upgrade that you are going on a road trip in a day or two and you want to make sure that if something happens you'll be covered (and it's also a legit reason for upgrading).

You may also want to check to see if their max tow distance is different in your state.

I would tell them when you upgrade that you are going on a road trip in a day or two and you want to make sure that if something happens you'll be covered (and it's also a legit reason for upgrading).

You may also want to check to see if their max tow distance is different in your state.

Thanks.. I had the AA plus which was 100 miles, so I contemplating driving it to my buddy's house and having it towed from there.

But...

This is all a mute point now. When the shop first fixed my car {inner/outer tie rods} it drove like poo, so it went back. Because its back for a supplemental claim, insurance will only pay them directly to finish the job. Called shop, and they don't deal with customer provided parts, especially in this case since I already complained about them not fixing it right the first time.

So, I don't get to pocket any extra money, I don't get my upgraded rack, but its getting replaced via insurance, and I can sell the STi rack to recoup my money...

Any outback owners want a 11 STi steering rack? comes with the lines and tie rods.

Archived