LegacyGT.com

After airbag recall OBD problem

Had the airbag recall done mid December and had them replace the timing belt at the same time at 206,000 miles. A few days later I started the car and got a check engine light. Plugged in the Accessport and saw the problem was throttle communication. I had this once before a long time ago. I reset the ECU and drove on.

After than the car seemed to surge at very light throttle, I thought it would get better with learning, and it did, but it still happens sometimes. So wanting to do some logging I connect my AP and it lights up but can't communicate with the ECU. A few days later I try again and the OBD port disappears into the dashboard.

So my question is during the dash removal for the recall is the OBD port removed and replaced? Can I blame the dealer or did I break it somehow?

The port should be held by two screws or clips. If not properly secured, it can get 'pushed' into the dashboard. But it is super easy to access. Just remove the cover underneath the steering wheel, the one that your knees/tibias can hit. Just a couple of clips IIRC.

There's four black screws holding it onto the kick panel trim piece. Once it is unscrewed, there's two clips on the front and back you can push in to release the obd2 plug.

You can buy a replacement obd2 port here and re-pin it, that's what I did.

edit: to clarify the pins were not damaged, but my obd2 plastic port was worn out from use.

There's four black screws holding it onto the kick panel trim piece. Once it is unscrewed, there's two clips on the front and back you can push in to release the obd2 plug.

You can buy a replacement obd2 port here and re-pin it, that's what I did.

edit: to clarify the pins were not damaged, but my obd2 plastic port was worn out from use.

Thanks, I ordered the replacement, mine has had plenty of use too.

Archived